Applications due 11/26/21
Date posted: October 15, 2021
Location: 25 Park Street, Montclair, NJ, USA
Provide leadership, instruction and motivation for swim team participants, attend swim meets/team functions, promote the swim team program within association guidelines, and maintain a safe environment. Understands that the team purpose is to develop swimmers’ skills, teach good sportsmanship, and demonstrate a high level of integrity in a caring and nurturing environment.
At the YMCA of Montclair, we strive to be the Employer of Choice, provide World-Class Service, and be the Charity of Choice. Our goal is to be a place where employees are empowered and excited to come to work. All staff ensure that members experience customer centric, individual attention each and every day. We strive to be the preferred partner collaborating with others, identifying and meeting our community needs.
- Emotional Maturity
- Critical Thinking and Decision Making
- Lead assigned age group structured practices during assigned times as allocated by the Director of Competitive Coaching.
- Track daily attendance as outlined by the Director of Competitive aquatics.
- Maintain open communication with parents and promote an environment that focuses on development of the swimmer and cultivates relationships that create a collaborative swim team environment within YMCA philosophy, rules, guideline and policies.
- Attends invitationals and swim meets as assigned by the Director of Competitive Swimming.
- Assist in swim team social event planning and fundraising when assigned.
- Able to conduct warm up sessions for competitive events and maintains a safe environment for swim team participants.
- Attends staff meetings and trainings as scheduled.
- Follows all YMCA policies, rules, regulations, best practices, and procedures, including emergency and safety procedures. Completes incident and accident reports as necessary.
- Maintains an orderly environment and secures team equipment at the end of practice/meets. Reports damaged equipment.
- Adheres to all YMCA of Montclair policies, procedures, rules, regulations and best practices, including emergency and safety procedures, and supports the associations’ philanthropy efforts.
- Position is identified as safety sensitive and subjected to required, random drug testing as scheduled.
- Assist in all assigned areas and completes all projects and assignments as assigned by supervisor.
- Minimum age of 21.
- 4 or more years’ experience as a competitive swim team coach.
- Must be able to demonstrate proficiency of swim skills in accordance with YMCA standards and have a strong foundation in stroke mechanics and be able to communicate effectively with swimmers and parents.
- Current Basic Life Support (CPR), AED & Basic First Aid certification must maintain annual certification in BLS/AED.
- Current YMCA or ARC Lifeguarding and the ARC Safety Training for Swim Coaches online certification or may need the STSC in person certification if no Lifeguard certification is held.
- Will be required to secure and maintain any certifications as outline by USA swimming or YUSA requirements in order to obtain deck passes for competitions. These certifications include national coaching certifications, safety certifications, leadership certification/training that may be required by national organization for the team or swimmers to complete in events at the local, regional or national levels.
- Position requires working most weekends.
- Ability to instruct, observe, and demonstrate to participants proper stroke and competitive swim techniques.
- Ability to lift and pull equipment 50 pounds, and to lift a small to average size child.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time.
- Must be in good physical condition to coach swimming.
- Must have ability to work inside and outside (i.e. humidity, hot, cold, inclement weather conditions).
- Must have ability to concentrate in a loud environment.
Benefits include complimentary YMCA membership; accrued PTO; enrollment in the Y’s retirement program (must complete 1000 hours within 2 years of service) with 10% of salary contributed by the Y; a rewarding career with professional growth and advancement opportunities; a challenging and fun work environment with creative and talented individuals.
Pay Rate: $15 – $20
Schedule: Evenings 4pm-9pm
How to Apply
25 Park Street
Montclair NJ, 07042