Location: 403 Deloss Dodds Way, Austin, TX 78712, USA
The Longhorns Swim Camp at The University of Texas at Austin is seeking 23-30 mature, enthusiastic, team oriented, and knowledgeable counselors/assistant coaches for its 2020 camp sessions. This is an excellent opportunity for professional education and networking for both established and up and coming coaches to work with and learn from the Texas coaching staff, as well as multiple Olympians and National Team members. The position provides coaching experience with a variety of ages and ability levels. The camp counselor is someone who loves the sport of swimming, demonstrates reliability and attention to detail, enjoys being around and works well with co-workers/children/adolescents, is willing to learn, and is a great teammate.
Duties and skills of camp staff include, but are not limited to:
- Abide by all University of Texas, Texas Athletics, and Longhorns Swim Camp policies and procedures. Required educational modules for The University of Texas will be provided.
- Supervise, coach, and apply guidance to a maximum of 175 campers per session in both dormitory and pool settings for four one-week sessions, May 24 – June 19.
- Provide a safe, positive environment where campers learn, have fun, and be excited about swimming while in attendance.
- Follow the head coaches lead while coaching/supervising camp sessions, while also relying upon personal experiences to interact effectively with campers. Teach proper technique and mechanics.
- Be involved and work in a team oriented environment with the camp staff to provide an excellent life experience for all attendees. Organize check in and check out times with campers and parents, as well as camp store operations.
- Organize supervised recreational times and activities. These are assigned areas of responsibility, including supervision of the dorm areas, short field trips on/off campus, guest speakers, etc.
- Maintain a professional appearance at all times. The highest standards of behavior are expected of staff, role models, and supervisors as representatives of The University of Texas. Must agree to work in an alcohol, tobacco, and drug-free environment. Inappropriate language and behavior is never tolerated.
The University of Texas at Austin does not discriminate on any basis prohibited by applicable law including race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, citizenship status, or Vietnam era or special disabled veteran’s status in recruitment, employment, promotion, compensation, benefits or training. It is also the university’s policy to maintain a work environment free from discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation.
How to Apply
- Complete and return a Camp Application by USPS or e-mail to [email protected]
- Obtain a UT EID HERE and list on your application. This is an electronic ID required for all applicants and employees.
- Submit current copies of First Aid, CPR, and Lifeguarding / Safety Training for Swim Coaches certifications. A USA Swimming Deck Pass screenshot may also be substituted. Certifications must be on file and current thru camp. It is highly recommended (but not required) that applicants be USA Swimming coach members.
- All applicants must have three letters of recommendations sent directly to the Camp Director from references by USPS or e-mail.
- Counselors must have completed at least 75 credit hours of college coursework. It is preferred that counselors have competitive swimming, and/or coaching / teaching, or camp counseling experience.
P.O. Box 7399
Austin, TX 78713-7399