Date posted: June 21, 2022
Location: 1326 Greenleaf St, Evanston, IL 60202, USA
The Assistant Swimming Coach reports to the Director of Swimming and Diving and assists with the coaching and training of the Swimming and Diving Team.
*Willingness and ability to work, as well as travel, mornings, evenings, weekends and holidays.
Responsible for adhering to all Department and University policies and procedures, as well as the rules, regulations, bylaws and interpretations of the Big Ten Conference and the NCAA.
RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Assist the head coach in the coaching and training of Northwestern’s Swimming team; developing and conducting all in-season and out-of-season sessions throughout the year as deemed necessary and appropriate.
- Aid the head coach in the psychological preparation of team in both pre-game and post-game; and for developing motivational approach to practice and meets.
- Assist with filming and technique instruction.
- Develop comprehensive knowledge of swimming in decision-making, delegating authority and in setting objectives.
- Must be fully knowledgeable and adhere to all rules and regulations of the NCAA, Big Ten Conference (as applicable) and Northwestern University as amended from time to time.
- Administrative duties such as travel plans, compliance logs, on campus visits, etc.
- Collaborate annual and long term recruiting strategies that reflect the University, Department and program values.
- Assist the head coach in the recruitment of top student-athletes, commensurate with the admissions qualifications of Northwestern University who are capable of successfully competing at the NCAA level. Maintain good relations with the parents of prospective and current student-athletes.
- Spearhead recruiting visits.
- Demonstrate interest in academic progress of student-athletes. Work closely with Academic Services staff in solving and preventing academic problems.
- Cooperate with team physicians and Sports Medicine staff regarding health care and decisions of practice and participation of student-athletes.
- Support and encourage student-athlete participation in community service and other outreach activities.
- Collaborate ways to create a safe space for student-athletes to grow authentically.
Alumni Relations, Public Relations and Development
- Establish a social media presence that reflects University, Department and program values.
- Responsible for the maintenance of sound alumni relations and for promoting and participating in various alumni events in cooperation with the Athletic Development staff.
- Assist in fund-raising efforts on behalf of the Swimming & Diving program and Department as requested.
- Responsible for maintaining good public relations with the public news media, and working with the Department’s Athletic Communications department in promoting Northwestern University. Maintain amicable public relations with faculty, staff, students and media of the University; friends as well as alumni support groups and secondary school coaches.
- Report issues and concerns to the Head Coach and/or Sport Administrator and faithfully and diligently carry out other Department related duties as assigned.
- Demonstrate a cooperative attitude towards all sports in the Intercollegiate and Recreational programs.
- Other duties as assigned or required.
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES
- Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor’s or higher degree; OR appropriate combination of education and experience.
- Previous coaching experience at the Division I Level or Senior National Level.
- Professional verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work in a dynamic fast paced environment and manage stressful situations
- Strong understanding of social media best practices and the ability to produce and maintain an engaging presence through different channels.
Knowledge of rules and regulations of the NCAA, Big Ten Conference and Northwestern University preferred
How to Apply
Please apply at https://careers.northwestern.edu/ job ID:44893.