Applications due 08/13/18
Cortez Leopard Sharks Swim Team, located in Cortez, CO has a Head Coach opening for an experienced and energetic person to begin in August.
Position Status: Part Time
Reports to: Cortez Leopard Sharks Board of Directors
- Establish an environment that fosters positive team attitudes and encourages self-discipline, sportsmanship and responsibility.
- Design swimming curriculum for all levels to promote skills and conditioning appropriate for athlete development and goals.
- Proficient in competitive swimming start, stroke and turn fundamentals.
- Possess strong leadership skills and the ability to mentor age group coaches.
- Excellent communication with swimmers, parents, and board members.
- USA Swimming/Colorado Swimming coach requirements www.coloradoswimming.org (coaches tab).
- Attend annual USA swimming House of Delegates meeting.
Salary Range: Part-time $7,000-8,000/year depending on experience, increases with team growth.
About the Cortez Area: Cortez is located in Southwest Colorado at the base of Mesa Verde National Park. Cortez is a Hub for archeological wonders including the dwelling and Kivas of Mesa Verde National Park, Cortez Cultural Center and Trail of the Ancients Scenic byway. When you look to the east from Cortez you can’t help but take in the beautiful and majestic 13,000 foot peaks of the San Juan Mountains that give residents the outdoor experience they have come to enjoy. For those that prefer two wheels, Cortez is home toPhil’s World, rated #2 in the West for its 26 miles of single track mountain biking thrill rides. Many locals also enjoy trail riding through the tall ponderosa pines on a warm summer day in the Boggy Draw area. Those interested in fishing and boating can find both within minutes of Cortez. Just 9 miles north of Cortez is McPhee Reservoir Colorado’s second largest reservoir with over 50 miles of shoreline. If you enjoy fly fishing, the Dolores River provides easy access as it travels north over 40 miles alongside Hwy 145 high into the mountains. During the fall in Cortez the scenery gets even better with the mountains turning gold as the aspen trees change color. Hunting, horseback riding and drives in the mountains are always a popular way to spend your time. Just over an hour drive from Cortez you can choose between world class skiing at Telluride Ski Resort or Purgatory Resort. Backpacking, hiking, cross country skiing are always a fun way to stay in shape. Cortez and surrounding towns provide great shopping and unique restaurants giving you a taste of the Southwest. The towns of Durango and Farmington, NM are about an hour away and provide access to larger cities. Cortez has a modern recreation center that has a 25 yard competitive pool. Nearby within the expansive parks of Cortez known as Parque de vida is the Cortez Outdoor pool that consists of an L shape 50 meter by 25 yard competitive outdoor pool facility including kids slide and water features. This 50 meter pool is one of only two high altitude 50 meter pools on the western slope of Colorado.
How to Apply
Position is open until filled. For priority consideration, submit application by August 1, 2018.
All applications should be sent to the Cortez Leopard Sharks Board of Directors @: [email protected]
A completed application consists of:
- Statement describing applicants coaching philosophy
- Current Resume
- List of 3 current references with contact information
PO Box 1043
Cortez, CO 81321