Applications due 08/05/19
Location: Ellensburg, WA, USA
The ideal individual selected for this full-time position needs to be experienced in the day to day operation of a larger swim club, be self-motivated, organized, and an excellent motivator/communicator. The head coach of EAST will possess the ability to connect and maintain positive working relationships with swimmers, parents, and coaching staff alike.
- Day-to-day direction, hands-on guidance, and involvement in all aspects of the swim program, including, but not limited to, exceptional communication skills with parents, swimmers, board members, and coaching staff.
- Be a member in good standing in USA swimming and support the ongoing implementation of USA swimming rules, regulations, and safe sport policies.
- Be involved in implementing club policy with an overall vision and progression toward growth and improvement of the Club.
- Work with the executive board in maintaining and developing new club policies to benefit the overall welfare and development of the Club.
- Must execute EAST club policy as it pertains to the events, administrative functions assigned, or structural make-up of the Club.
- Manage the coaching staff and ensuring that motivation and technical feedback is presented equally to all swimmers and coaches regardless of skill level.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Executive Board.
- Passion for the sport of swimming.
- Someone that has big dreams and aspirations as a USA Swimming Coach.
- 4 Years of experience coaching competitive swimming
- Passion for developing a highly competitive and sought-after program that is a leader in the sport of swimming.
- Exceptional organizational and leadership skills.
- Experience in developing swimmers from entry level age group swimmers to National Qualifiers.
- Ability to positively communicate critiques of swim technique and provide motivational goal setting.
- ASCA Level 3 Certification or equivalent skills.
- Excellent communicator (verbal and written).
- Bachelor’s degree desired.
- Member in good standing with USA Swimming including being current on all background checks, certifications, and athlete protection training.
- Proficient computer skills (Team Unify, Team Manager, Meet Manager, Office, Google calendar and docs).
- Basic financial skill set.
- Experience in mentoring/developing subordinate coaches.
- Competitive swimming experience; preferred experience and the national or international level.
- Active involvement in the recruitment, development, and progression of swimmers at all levels of our program.
- Determine the assignment of swimmers to training groups, to include assessments and approval of swimmer advancements.
- Design and oversee the implementation of the seasonal training plans for all groups.
- Develop and/or ensure workouts are appropriate for the age group, including dryland training and regular stroke/technique clinics.
- Develop long-term team/group goals and swim programs to meet these goals including seasonal and weekly training programs.
- Work with swimmers to determine appropriate individual goals and develop tailored training to meet these goals.
- Foster team spirit by exhibiting and maintaining a positive attitude and team building.
- Endorse EAST’s focus on helping kids learn life skills such as discipline, goal setting, time management and healthy habits that will benefit them throughout life through the sport of swimming.
- Develop season meet schedule (SCY and LCM).
- Ensure all swim meets have adequate coaching coverage for all swimmers participating.
- Prepare meet entries in accordance with meet calendar and entry procedure for each meet.
- Communicate with parents regarding swimmer meet entries.
- In the event of a travel meet, head coach will work with the assigned group coach to create the itinerary and select transportation and lodging within the Board established budget/policy guidelines.
- Assist in planning the team travel budget, as needed.
- Serve as the meet director for our home meets, including overseeing/supporting the volunteer coordinator’s efforts to ensure parent volunteer hours are met
- Attend all Board of Director Meetings.
- Lead monthly meetings with coaches to ensure they are meeting coaching goals and standards established by the head coach.
- Complete all required paperwork in a timely manner, including but not limited to job reviews, pool contracts, and monthly coach’s report to the Board.
- Manage and submit team entries for all meets.
- Maintain current coach’s credentials as required by USA Swimming.
- Along with the Board of Directors, work with local city and business entities to ensure consistent swim schedule and pool/facility availability.
- Communicate to the Board of Directors any issues concerning schedules, facilities or contracts.
- Actively support team fundraising activities.
- Assist the Board of Directors with the development and implementation of the annual budget. Propose annual items to be considered for the budget and conduct Club activities in accordance with the parameters of the budget.
- Represent EAST through active involvement in the Inland Empire LSC.
- Responsible for coordinating and scheduling the continuing education for the Head and Assistant Coaches.
- Will conduct him/herself in a professional manner always and in accordance with team and USA Swimming Code of Conduct.
- Recruit and retain coaching staff within budget determined by the Board; termination requiring Board review.
- Develop training plan for all coaches, including the development of goals, evaluations, and monthly staff meetings.
- Ensure assistant coaches are fulfilling their responsibilities as assigned.
- Communicate effectively to team members with weekly emails, monthly newsletter, and website/social media
- Maintain weekly working hours off the deck/outside of the pool
- Be exceptional in the application of positive, consistent, and effective motivation strategies when working with swimmers, parents, and coaching staff in relation to all aspects of the program.
The team will be offering a competitive salary based on experience and qualifications. The anticipated salary range for the head coach will be starting at $30,000 to $40,000 depending upon the skill set and qualifications of the candidate. Meet travel per-diem, cell phone allowance, and certification upkeep are paid by the team. Additionally, the Board will develop a performance based incentive contract with the selected candidate.
How to Apply
How to Apply Application Process:
To apply, interested candidates should send their coaching philosophy, resume including job qualifications or accomplishments, and introduction letter electronically to the EAST Executive Board President, Joel Bodenman at eastswimpresid[email protected], Application materials must be submitted by August 5th at 12:00 pm. If additional information is needed by the applicant the preferred contact method is by email, however, Joel Bodenman can be contacted at (509) 899-9178 and will do his best to return calls in a timely fashion.
The start date for the selected head coach would be September 9th, 2019. The screening committee will contact individual candidates for additional information and inquiries as needed. Telephone/Skype or in person interviews will begin after August 5th. Coaches may be invited out to coach a workout and meet in person. We are striving to fill the Head Coach position in time for the short course season which starts after Labor Day. The date is a target date and may change based upon the new coach’s commitments. Timeline/dates are subject to change and are to be used as a guideline for the applicant. Changes may occur as needed.