Coastal Maine Aquatics (CMA) is seeking passionate and enthusiastic applicants who love the sport of swimming for a full-time salaried Head Coach.
Long–standing club. CMA is a USA Swim Club founded in 1991, and is part of Maine Swimming LSC. CMA is a 501c3 non-profit organization overseen by a Board of Directors. We have a staff of 4 assistant coaches. With more than 90 swimmers throughout the year, ages 5 thru 18, CMA offers programs at 7 different training levels. CMA consistently places among the top teams at Maine Championships.
Commitment to excellence. CMA has many of the top swimmers in the state, with one Junior National qualifier and five Sectional qualifiers currently. CMA has achieved Level 2 Club status. Our team operates year-round out of two indoor 6-lane pools one in Cape Elizabeth (SCY) and one in South Portland (SCM), which are located within 5 miles of each other. We host three meets per year at our SCY pool. Our swimmers are students at the area’s top high schools and many go on to swim at the collegiate level. Only one hour away, Colby College is poised to complete a new state-of-the-art 50- meter natatorium by 2020 for use by all levels of Maine swimming competition. CMA has a dedicated, involved and supportive membership base with great potential for future growth.
Outstanding quality of life. Coastal southern Maine is known for its unparalleled quality of life, pristine beaches, spectacular ocean views, lighthouses, family farms and low stress lifestyle. The area is ranked among the most livable regions nationwide, offering an excellent quality of life, access to high quality healthcare, nationally ranked schools and outstanding outdoor recreation opportunities. Portland, Maine’s largest city and just a 10 minute drive, continues to accumulate national “best of” awards, including America’s Best Town in the East by Outside Magazine, a top ten Greenest City by Organic Magazine and America’s Foodiest Small Town by Bon Appetit.
Job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Serve as primary, on-deck coach of national and senior level training groups, and counsel high school members interested in swimming in college;
• Supervise and develop assistant coaching staff including:
o coordinate stroke and training principles throughout all levels;
o oversee group placement and advancement of athletes; and
o serve as on-deck coach of lower level training groups as needed;
• Oversee all administrative aspects of team activities, including o meet selection, planning and registration;
o coordination of home/hosted meets;
o practice scheduling for all training groups;
o maintaining team statistics; and
o team promotion locally and within Maine LSC
• Work cooperatively with the Board of Directors as an Ex-officio member to:
o develop and administer the team budget;
o create and execute a shared vision for CMA’s growth and success; and
o communicate professionally and regularly with coaches, athletes and parents.
• Actively represent CMA in the Maine LSC and New England Swimming, as well as other state, regional and national organizations, as requested by the Board.
• Develop and maintain positive relationships with CMA parents, including parent education and booster activities with volunteer parents.
• 5+ years experience as a Head Coach or Assistant Coach of a USA Swimming affiliated club;
• ASCA Level 3 certification or above strongly preferred;
• Experience leading and mentoring assistant coaching staff;
• All certifications current and in good standing with USA Swimming;
• Solid knowledge of stroke theory and training physiology;
• Proven success coaching, motivating and inspiring swimmers at all levels, from developmental through national level;
• Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
• Clear, cooperative and tactful communication style;
• Strong organizational skills and attention to detail;
• Solid personal ethics, including honesty, respect and integrity;
• An obvious love of competitive swimming, along with a personal desire to succeed professionally and advance the team as a whole;
• Experience with and knowledge of HyTek programs and Team Unify;
• Legally authorized to work in the United States and able to pass background checks.
CMA offers a competitive compensation package and is an equal opportunity employer.
How to Apply
To apply candidates should e-mail a resume, three professional references (whom CMA can contact directly) and a cover letter of interest, which explains one’s coaching philosophy, to [email protected] All applications will be held in confidence. Application review will begin in January 2018.