Applications due 03/29/19
Location: Chico, CA, USA
The Chico Area Swim Association (CASA) is seeking a Head Coach to direct all aspects of our aquatic programs. The overall objective of the position is to direct a year round USA Swimming program that produces the highest attainable levels of excellence in instruction as well as individual and team performance, in a positive environment. The coach will develop and improve the technical and physical skills of swimming in each participant. This position is responsible for providing a fun and enjoyable environment while orienting participants to competitive swimming. The Head Coach must develop the skills and talents of team members, promote teamwork and sportsmanship, and encourage personal development. The Head Coach will also foster positive relationships, mentor, and communicate well with coaching staff, swim team members, and parents. The Head Coach is expected to work in partnership with members of the Board of Directors, the coaching staff, and other stakeholders to inform and further the organizational goals and objectives. Applicants should have the proven ability to foster business relationships, assist in securing financial support, and be able to strategize and act to meet or exceed revenue targets. Position is full-time and salaried.
Reports To: The Board of Directors.
Essential Job Functions
- The Head Coach shall organize all team practices.
- The Head Coach is allowed flexibility for the summer workout schedule but must attend both morning and evening hours.
- Absences due to Sierra Nevada related activities (attending out of town meetings, etc.) are excused.
- All substitute coaching assignments due to absences are the responsibility of the Head Coach.
- The Head Coach is responsible for the hiring and termination of all coaching staff and to report to the Executive Committee of the Board of Directors.
- The Head Coach shall provide supervision and direction for all assistant coaches.
- The Head Coach shall provide written goals and objectives for the coaching staff and submit them annually to the board for review.
- The Head Coach shall perform written evaluations of the coaching staff for review annually.
- The Head Coach shall conduct regular staff meetings with coaching staff.
The Head Coach will schedule all team meets.
- The Head coach shall be responsible for designating the appropriate number of coaches to be in attendance at all team meets and dual meets. If the Head Coach will not be present at a meet, he/she shall provide the Executive Committee of the Board of Directors, at least one week in advance, with the names of assistant coaches and/or substitute coaches who will be attending the meet.
- The Head Coach shall set the format for all team meets in coordination with the Meet Director.
- The Head Coach will have the opportunity to attend at least one coaching seminar per calendar year with approval from the Executive Committee. The Swim Association will pay the cost of registration, travel and lodging as allowable within the budget for the given year.
- The Head Coach along with the Board of Directors shall be responsible for promoting fundraising efforts and related team activity by informing parents and encouraging the swimmers to participate.
- The Head Coach shall ensure that the coaching staff has met the minimum safety requirements established by USA Swimming.
The Head Coach shall report directly to the Executive Committee of the Board of Directors regarding all administrative matters.
The Head Coach shall attend all regularly scheduled board meetings and:
- Provide the Board of Directors with a monthly review of all team progress and assistant coach performance and make appropriate recommendations.
- Provide the Board of Directors with updates of events relating to Sierra Nevada Swimming (SNS), North Valley Aquatic League (NVAL) and other legislative bodies.
The Head Coach shall be responsible for the recording of attendance at team practices and submitting a monthly report by the following month to the Membership Director.
The Head Coach shall participate in the formulation of and execution of the discipline policy for members of the swim team. This policy shall be in writing and shall be included in the registration packet and issued to all swimmers and their parents. The discipline policy stated in the Parent Handbook shall be reviewed and approved by the Board of Directors.
The Head Coach shall be responsible for maintaining all personnel files, including written reviews and documentation of meetings with employees. All files must be reviewed annually and updated. All employees must have one on one review at least once a year.
The Head Coach must review, approve and have time cards ready for bookkeeper. It is the coach’s responsibility to verify hours and communicate with employees.
The Head Coach and/or approved designee shall:
Attend all NVAL scheduled meetings and team sanctioned meets each season.
Be responsible for:
- Maintaining team files monthly.
- Managing swim clinics.
- Providing motivational activities for swimmers.
- Writing and distributing weekly parent communication via email and oversight relative to the team website.
- Manage distribution of other printed material (meet sheets, flyers, etc.).
- Coordinating regular social activities (pizza nights, BBQ’s, etc.).
- Creating monthly attendance rosters for coaches.
- Provide meet results to news media.
- Parent education communications and meetings.
- At least 10 years’ coaching experience preferred
- American Swimming Coaches Association (ASCA) Certification (Level 2 or above) or ability to obtain certification.
- Proven experience running the ‘dry side’ of a youth sports non-profit or other organization.
- Bachelor’s degree, or the equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Able to present information effectively to large groups of adults as well as children in both instructional and non-instructional settings.
- Capable of working independently and as part of a team. Good work ethic and a desire to “get the job done.” Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Ability to manage a number of projects simultaneously.
- Efficient self-starter that takes initiative while able to accept supervision and direction as required.
- Willingness to share ideas and collaborate.
- Ability to prioritize and follow through effectively.
- Commitment to provide and ability to supervise high quality customer service.
- Proven research skills, including use of the Internet and other resources.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office package (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) or similar computer applications.
- Interest and commitment to enhancing the effectiveness of nonprofit organizations.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Maintain First Aid, CPR, AED and Water Safety Instructor certifications.
- Plans, organizes and schedules in an efficient, productive manner; anticipates contingencies and demonstrates flexibility. Excellent organizational skills and pays attention to detail.
- Hold or able to obtain USA Swimming credentials
- Have the desire to represent and connect the organization to the greater Chico community.
Salary and Benefits: The Chico Area Swim Association offers a package of benefits to full time, salaried employees. Compensation will be dependent on experience.
Notice of Non-Discrimination
The Chico Area Swim Association (CASA) is an employer committed to equal opportunity for all persons without regard to sex, age, race, color, religion, creed, national origin, marital status, disability, or sexual orientation, and any other class of individuals protected from discrimination under state or federal law. It is the policy of CASA to comply with all federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding equal opportunity. In keeping with that policy, CASA is committed to maintaining a work environment that is free of unlawful discrimination and harassment. Accordingly, CASA will not tolerate unlawful discrimination against or harassment of any of our employees or others present at our facilities by anyone, including any supervisor, co-worker, vendor, client, or customer of CASA.
How to Apply
Interested applicants must send a cover letter, resume, contact information for three references, and one writing sample (preferably a writing sample related to a job function associated with this position) to the email listed below. Resumes submitted without a cover letter, references, and writing sample will be considered incomplete and will NOT be considered.
PLEASE SUBMIT APPLICATION MATERIALS VIA EMAIL TO JIM PARROTT, CASA BOARD PRESIDENT:
No phone calls, please.
Po Box 1131
Chico, Ca 95927