Applications due 07/01/18
Durango Swim Club, in Durango Colorado, has an immediate opening for an experienced and energetic Head Coach.
Title: Durango Swim Club Head Coach
Reports to: Durango Swim Club Board of Directors
Position Status: Full-time
Durango is a vibrant town located in the southwest corner of Colorado and nestled in the San Juan Mountains with the Animas River running through it. Durango is a destination for all ages and all seasons. Summer brings endless hiking, backpacking, mountain biking, fly fishing, and river rafting opportunities. Durango is also home to Fort Lewis College, a 4-year liberal arts college with over 44 majors and 29 combined NCAA Division II sports teams and intercollegiate club teams. Music in the Mountains, Durango Independent Film Festival and countless other family festivals are always a big hit. The Durango and Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad is one of the nation’s most popular tourist attractions and it also has special themed trips throughout the year. Fall brings perfect weather and picturesque scenery for continued outdoor pursuits and excellent photographic opportunities. The fall colors are a kaleidoscopic feast for the eyes and one of the most popular times to visit the area. Winter brings world class downhill skiing and snowboarding at Purgatory (formerly Durango Mountain Resort). Cross country skiing, snowmobiling, snowshoeing, ice-climbing and backcountry skiing are also major recreational pursuits in the area. The more adventurous can explore North America’s only all-extreme ski area in nearby Silverton and Telluride, Wolf Creek and Taos are all a short distance away. Early spring has some of our favorite snow conditions with endless sunny warm days, and late spring emerges with beautiful wildflowers for all outdoor enthusiasts and photographers. Don’t miss a visit to Mesa Verde National Park to explore the cave dwellings and culture of the Anasazi in one of the nation’s most scenic and visited national parks. Durango offers sophisticated restaurants and shopping, a budding arts community, diverse cultural attractions, and all while maintaining its down-home atmosphere and friendly welcoming feel.
Please check out these links for additional information on Durango:
Welcome to Durango, Colorado!
Info on Durango Schools:
The Durango Swim Club (DGO), (www.durangoswimclub.org) of Durango, CO (USA) is seeking a dynamic, motivated, highly skilled Head Coach for its year-round competitive swim program.
We are seeking an ASCA level 3 or higher Head Coach for our competitive swim team, but we will take applications based on merit. DGO is a USA Swimming affiliated team. We currently have 90 plus swimmers in five progressive training groups: Copper, Bronze, Silver, Gold, & Platinum that train year-round with a staff of 3 certified coaches. These groups are designed to provide athletes with a fun team atmosphere where swimmers of similar ability and commitment practice together and TEAM is emphasized in a competitive setting.
DGO has swimmers from beginning age group to nationally-ranked athletes. This includes numerous zone, sectional and junior national level athletes.
Many of our DGO alumni have gone on to swim collegiately at top-ranked universities, including the University of Hawaii, University of Houston, Vasser, and Pepperdine. DGO is a nonprofit 501c3 organization under the direction of a volunteer parent run Board of Directors elected every three years by the membership.
Our current DGO coaching staff is exceptional.
- Establish an environment that fosters positive team attitudes and encourages self-discipline, sportsmanship and responsibility.
- Design swimming and dryland curriculums for all DGO roster levels to promote stroke development and physical conditioning appropriate for the athletes’ current level of fitness and physical/emotional development, while maintaining an appropriate level of challenge necessary to produce improvement in speed, fitness, and progression to the next team roster level.
- The Head Coach shall demonstrate a working knowledge of competitive swimming strokes, rules, regulations, and safety as applicable and have experience in the techniques of competitive swimming and physical conditioning for the sport.
- The Head Coach will be required to hold a current USA coaching and Colorado Swimming membership. The Head Coach understands that a current USA registration card shall be worn at all meets and should be available on deck during practices. Renewal of certifications is required.
- Current CPR, First Aid, and life-guard certification approved by Colorado Swimming.
- Current Safety Training for Coaches Certification approved by Colorado Swimming.
- Compliance with all USA Swimming Code of Conduct Rules and Regulations.
- ASCA Level-3 Certification within 1 year of employment.
Swim Program Management:
- Be a presence on deck for all practices and supervise or coach all practices. Assign assistant coaches as necessary to ensure practice coverage.
- Responsible for group selection and registration approval for all swimmers.
- Manage swimming groups, lane assignments, and code of conduct of swimmers at practice and meets.
- Discipline of athletes within the program by following all current Colorado Swimming and USA swimming policies. Inform the board of these actions in timely manner.
- Attend home and travel meets as set forth in the Annual Plan.
- Advise and assist all swimmers on which events to swim at meets.
- Responsible for updating meet invitation information on Team Unify and handling of meet entries as prescribed by each meet invitation for all team approved meets.
- The Head Coach will update meet results on a current team system.
- Supervising responsibility, planning, organization and set-up of all swim meets hosted by the Durango Swim Club with direct help from Administrative Official assigned to the meet, the Meet Director and the Board.
- The Head Coach will be a member of the Board of Directors. All Board members, including Head Coach, shall abide by all Board Code of Conduct and Durango Swim Club Bylaws.
- Attend the CSI (Colorado Swimming Inc.) House of Delegates annually.
- Establish an Annual Plan with the Board each year in August prior to the swim season, which includes but is not limited to practice schedule and group expectations, meet and event schedule, budget, and club fees. The Annual Plan shall be reviewed before the beginning of each of the two swim seasons.
- Directly supervise, train, determine coaching responsibilities and schedule assistant coaches to cover all practices as written in Annual Plan within the Annual Budget requirements.
- Responsible for hiring, firing, and disciplining, of all assistant coaches, and informing board prior to these actions.
- Head Coach will complete performance reviews for assistant coaches twice per year and review them with the Board of Directors.
- The Head Coach will conduct a monthly staff meeting with assistant coaches.
- The Head Coach will advise the Club as to matters pertaining to the swimming Program.
- The Head Coach will support the Board to plan the Annual Meeting of the members at the end of the long course season for the purpose of electing new board members.
- The Head Coach will work collaboratively with the Board of Directors to support and promote fundraising activities.
- The Head Coach will work within the confines of the Annual Budget, as approved by the Board of Directors, for determination of swimmer dues, purchases, travel expenses, team transportation, and assistant coach wages.
- Head coach will maintain team phone number and coach email address.
- The Head Coach will be available to speak to all families in the Club at designated times or Club meetings.
- The Head Coach shall set up and maintain an efficient communication system with swimmers and parents regarding any information necessary for the day to day functioning of the club. (Ex. schedule changes, clinics, absences, pool closures, etc.). This includes organizing and maintaining a current email list and DGO website for team members and their families on a regular basis.
- The Head Coach will plan and run the Annual Meeting of the new members to be held in September with direct help from the Board of Directors.
- Communicating with City of Durango staff in order to determine if DGO practice schedule, meet schedule, and pool fundraising will be acceptable to the facility.
- Communicating with the City of Durango to establish a respectful environment between the team and the facilities.
- The Board of Directors of the Club will assist in any mediation of disputes between the Head Coach/Coaching Staff and swimmers and/or parents of such swimmers.
- The Head Coach will foster positive community interest and commitment to the success of the Club by keeping a positive relationship within the swimming community of Durango (Masters, High School, City Recreation Department, etc.) The Board of Directors and the Head Coach will work collaboratively to actively promote the team.
- The Head Coach will maintain current communication with the sports staff of the Durango Herald to seek coverage of Club events and results from meets throughout the year.
- Must be CPR/AED certified, lifeguard certified, and maintain current coaching certification.
- ASCA level 3 but may consider the right candidate with a lower ranking.
- Experience coaching various ages and skill levels in a competitive environment.
- High-level swimming experience at the club and collegiate level.
- Ability to set and achieve individual and team goals and encourage others to do the same.
This is a year round, salaried position with opportunity for salary increases with the growth of the team. Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience within a range of $31,000 to $36,000 annually.
How to Apply
APPLICATION PROCEDURES & DUE DATE
Position is open until filled. For priority consideration, submit application materials by July 1, 2018. All application materials should be sent to the Durango Board of Directors at [email protected]
A complete application consists of:
· Letter of application detailing relevant experience and how the applicant is prepared to fulfill the responsibilities of the position
· Statement describing the applicant’s coaching philosophy
· Current resume
· List of three current references with contact information
· Salary expectations
Durango Swim Club Board