Date posted: June 9, 2021
Location: 600 22nd Street Northwest, Washington, DC, USA
The George Washington University Department of Athletics and Recreation, an NCAA Division I member of the Atlantic 10 Conference, actively engages our students, our campus community, our alumni and our fans through the spirit of healthy living and competition. Located in the heart of our nation’s capital, this world-class university aspires to have a world-class athletics and recreation program. We are committed to building and sustaining a program that mirrors the overall excellence of the university, by providing students an unparalleled opportunity for achievement and engaging the larger community as we grow and cultivate the next generation of leaders.
This position will support all aspects of the swimming and diving program including the recruitment of qualified athletes, the coaching and instruction of student-athletes, monitoring and supporting academic progress and progression toward degree, alumni and donor engagement, and more. This position typically identifies and recruits academically and athletically elite student-athletes, partners with the Head Coach to build a cohesive team culture, partners in scouting and producing video to prepare team for competition, and develops and maintains effective relationships and communications with students, colleagues, faculty, staff, alumni, parents, and general public. This position will also participate in budget management, financial reconciliation and team fundraising, may assist in game day management, and may coordinate summer camps and clinics, including paperwork, customer service and financial reconciliation.
Reporting to the Head Coach for Swimming, the Assistant Head Coach of Diving will support the program by performing the following:
- Works with the Head Coach on the management of all aspects of the diving program, including practice, team travel arrangements and student-athlete development.
- Assists in the organization and hosting of home swimming and diving meets.
- Monitors academic, social, and personal development of diving student-athletes.
- Maintains knowledge and remain current regarding all appropriate NCAA, Atlantic 10 Conference, Department of Athletics and Recreation, and University compliance issues, policies, and procedures.
- Serves as on-deck coach during practices and meets, observing and evaluating student-athlete performance and demonstrating proper techniques.
- Identify and recruit academically and athletically elite student-athletes for the diving program.
Organizes and host official visits for prospective student-athletes.
- Develop and maintain effective relationships and communications with students, colleagues, faculty, staff, alumni, parents, and general public.
The position is based at GW’s Foggy Bottom Campus in Washington, DC but will require significant travel for games and events. The incumbent may perform other related duties as assigned by the Head Coach and/or Director of Athletics and Recreation. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
Qualified candidates will hold a Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate area of specialization plus 1 year of relevant professional experience. Degree must be conferred by the start date of the position. Degree requirements may be substituted with an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Experience in coaching diving at an NCAA institution (preferably Division 1)
- Experience with fiscal management and daily operations of an intercollegiate athletics department
- Strong organizational, management and communications skills with attention to detail
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously in a fast paced environment
How to Apply
Please send a note of interest and updated resume to Brian Thomas: [email protected]
600 22nd St NW
Washington, DC 20052