Applications due 04/26/19
There’s nothing like working at the Y!
At the Y, strengthening community is our cause. Our staff members are people who drive this cause – it is because of our drive, our passion, our belief in others, and our belief in the strength of our mission that we are able to make a difference – every day.
EVERY position positively impacts others at the Y – JOIN US, WE MAKE A DIFFERENCE!
JOB LOCATION: YMCA of Greater Des Moines
HOURS/DAYS SCHEDULE: Schedule Varies
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: April 26th, 2019
*We would prefer to have our selected candidate start in the position on June 1st
The Director of Youth Competitive Swimming is responsible for the overall tone, direction and implementation of the YMCA of Greater Des Moines youth swim team program and the “Elite” Travel Team based out of the Wellmark YMCA Branch. This position will first and foremost be on deck coaching the Elite Travel Team swimmers. This position will oversee all aspects and personnel of the Swim Team.
- Primary coaching role is on deck leading and writing the practices for the “Elite” Travel Team swimmers.
- Oversee all aspects and personnel of the DSMY youth swim team which includes:
- Hire, Manage, and Mentor Travel Team Assistant Coaches and branch practice Site Head Coaches
- Observe and guide practice site locations and coaches on a regular basis.
- Scheduling Travel Team assistant coaches
- Scheduling the practice for each training group in the allotted pool time for Travel Team
- Meet schedules (YMCA and USA Swimming)
- Team administration duties of: team progression model used at all branches, team entries, website, communication with the team including the use of social media.
- Assist Practice Site Head Coaches with the hiring process and selection for branch practice site assistant coaches
- Create and lead a volunteer parent group to assist and help manage our hosted YMCA and USA Swim meets
- Build and lead a cohesive YMCA/USA Swim team program throughout the association ranging from tryouts/beginners to national meet qualifiers.
- Mission and Community Oriented – ability to model and teach YMCA values; champion inclusion activities, strategies and initiatives; ensure high-level services that differentiate YMCA from other providers; provide volunteers with orientation, training, development and recognition
- People Oriented – ability to empathetically listen and communicate for understanding when negotiating and dealing with conflict; build relationships to create small communities; effectively tailor communications to appropriate audience; provide staff with feedback, coaching, guidance and support
- Results Oriented – ability to hold staff accountable for high-quality results using a formal process to measure progress; conduct prototypes to support the launching of program and activities; provide others with framework for making decisions; develop, plan and manage best practices through engagement of team; cultivate relationships to support fundraising; effectively create and manage budgets
- Personal Development Oriented – ability to utilize non-threatening methods to address sensitive issues and inappropriate behavior or performance; share new insights; facilitate change; model adaptability and an awareness of the impact of change
- Ethical Behavior – ability to understand ethical behavior and business practices, and ensure that own behavior and the behavior of others is consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organization; maintain a work ethic that holds a high standard to organizational accountability
- General Experience and Abilities – ability to demonstrate understanding of program development and management; effective and efficient time management; demonstrate capacity for managing and leading people; excellent organizational skills; ability to overcome resistance to leadership and take unpopular stands; ability to exemplify a “Y-Voice” that demonstrates determination, genuine concern, welcoming attitude, hopefulness and nurturing spirit
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent from an accredited college preferably in education or sports science, ten years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of YMCA and USA Swimming seasons, meet circuits and time standards.
- ASCA certification; level 4 or higher is desired.
- Experience coaching development of adolescent athletes with either YMCA or USA swimming club minimum five years (10 full seasons).
- Experience teaching/programming swim lessons
- Personal experience being on a competitive youth swim team
- American Red Cross CPR-PR/AED/First Aid Certifications or equivalent certifications approved by the YMCA
- American Red Cross Lifeguarding Certification
- American Red Cross online Safety Training for Swim Coaches certification
- American Red Cross Blood Borne Pathogens Training or equivalent training approved by the YMCA
- YMCA Principles of Competitive Swimming & Diving certification
- Y Orientation Session
- Y Emergency Procedures Training
- Demonstrated computer skills in a Microsoft Windows environment
- Current USA Swimming/YMCA Coaching Certification credentials
Apply and begin your life changing Y journey TODAY!
How to Apply
Apply online by using the below link:
Director of Youth Competitive Swimming