Applications due 09/22/23
Date posted: August 31, 2023
Location: 720 Shoals Road, Duncan, SC, USA
The YMCA of Greater Spartanburg is seeking an energetic, visionary candidate who has the ability to execute on that vision. Over the past 5 years, we have experienced unprecedented growth leading to record membership, program, and community support numbers. We are excited about what the future has in store and seek a leader to join our team and help us continue to serve more.
Come join a growing team and lead our Y-Spartaquatics Swim Club (YSSC)! In recent years, YSSC has seen exceptional growth both in and out of the water. As a team, our successes include winning the 2023 Men’s YMCA Long Course National Championship, the 2021 Women’s YMCA Short Course National Championship, and the South Carolina Short Course Senior State Championships from 2020-2023. In addition, we have seen dozens of swimmers continue in their swimming careers through scholarships at top universities all across the country.
Under the direction of the Branch Executive Director, and in accordance with the Christian nature and purpose of the YMCA of Greater Spartanburg, the Director of Competitive Swimming / Head Swim Team Coach will be an integral leader as we seek to continue our growth and success in competitive swimming. YSSC is a registered USA Swim and National YMCA Swim team that competes in local, state, and national level swim meets.
Education and Certifications –A 4-year college degree is required. ASCA level 4 or higher preferred.
Experience – Five or more years of competitive swimming coaching experience, YMCA experience a plus, with a background in supervising and developing swimmers, coaches, and volunteers. Must be safe sport certified.
The incumbent must have the competencies, relationship-building skills, and proven leadership ability to successfully carry out his/her duties in accordance with the YMCA’s mission and strategic plan of the Association for serving the community. An understanding of YMCA programs and the YMCA as a membership-driven organization is a must. Other important competencies of the Director of Competitive Swimming / Head Swim Coach include the following:
- Directs the operation of the YSSC program, including coaching and training of swimmers, supervision of coaches, coordination of volunteers, and management of all aspects of meets.
- Supports the mission of the YMCA through program, staff, and volunteer development and leadership.
- Ensures all certifications are up to date for staff.
- Monitors program registrations and program retention to ensure quality programming is being implemented and promoted throughout the entire YSSC program.
- Organizes the year-round meet calendar and ensures all details related to registration is properly coordinated for each meet.
- Participates in weekly branch leadership staff meetings.
- Engages with other aquatics staff to ensure proper coordination is in place for connecting swimmers from YMCA swim lessons to placement on swim team with the appropriate timing.
- Ensures a safe and supportive environment exists for all participants, coaches, and volunteers.
- Manages the budgeting process to ensure budget targets are met or exceeded.
- Directs the financial development activities of the swim team program to meet or exceed the annual campaign goal.
Physically and verbally able to interact with staff, participants and members.
Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
Salary Range: $60,000-$85,000.
How to Apply
All interested applicants, please email your cover letter, resume, and 3-5 references to Amy Smith at [email protected].
151 Ribault Street
Spartanburg, SC 29302
phone: (864) 585-0306