Applications due 01/31/18
- Attends pre-season sign-up sessions (evaluations for new swimmers).
- Develops a list of expectations, practice rules and procedures for swimmers to follow during practice and meets.
- Directs and supervises all swim practices, swim clinics, (morning and/or afternoon) and swim meets.
- Directs and supervises the Jefferson Swim League Championship meet.
- Attends required Jefferson Swim League meetings.
- Is knowledgeable of JSL Procedure Manual and Coach Manual.
- Encourages swim team member participation in swim team functions.
- Supports committee members in the reinforcement of participation by all parents in swim team operations and activities and in the registration of members with JSL representatives.
- Teaches technique to swimmers in the four swim strokes and proper technique for turns, starts, and relays.
- Schedules swimmers’ events for swim meets and prepares necessary paperwork.
- Coordinates and coaches swimmers during swim meets with appropriate follow-up.
- Is responsible for the care and storage of all swim team equipment.
- Informs both swimmers and parents of swim practices (or changes), swim meets, directions to away meets and any other information needed to be kept informed of team operations, with the assistance of the executive committee.
- Reports progress and concerns to JSL representative or a swim team committee officer.
- Collaborates with the executive committee in the hiring and/or termination of swim team staff.
- Sets salaries and hours for all assistant coaches, with approval of committee.
- Attends CGST Executive Committee meetings and gives brief report on progress and concerns.
- Provides leadership and helps develop skills of assistant coaches and junior coaches.
- Provides timely feedback and encouragement to all swimmers and their families.
The position begins with season practice planning and coach meetings between the start of hire and the beginning of swim season. The regular season schedule begins in May 2018.
|March/April 2018||Pre-season Evaluations for New Swimmers (times/dates TBD)|
|May 2018 – June 7, 2018||Practice (afternoon while school is in session)
Monday through Friday 4:00 PM – 7:30 PM (approximate)
|June 8, 2018 – July 26, 2018||Morning Practice (after school has ended)
Monday through Friday 7:45 AM – 11:00 AM (approximate)
Monday through Thursday 5:30 PM – 7:00 PM (approximate)
|June 13 – July 18||Dual Meets (6)
Wednesdays 6:00 PM – 10:00 PM
|July 27 and July 28||JSL Championships, UVA Aquatic Fitness Center
(Friday and Saturday/times TBD)
|End of Year Banquet||Sunday, July 29 (time TBD)|
Applicants should have a minimum one year of swim coaching experience at the recreational level and a personal competitive swimming history is a plus. Additionally, strong knowledge of stroke fundamentals, excellent communication skills, and good organizational skills are a must. Preference will be given to those with experience in athlete development, team management skills and USA coaching certification. We desire candidates who will be dedicated and committed to attending all practices and meets through the end of our competitive season.
Condition of Employment:
Successful candidates must pass a background check and provide current certifications in CPR and First Aid and Lifeguard, WSI, Coaches Safety Training or the equivalent. Additional training may be required upon acceptance of employment.
Salary will be discussed and offered upon evaluation of the applicant’s availability, experience, and ability to perform as the Head Coach throughout the season.
How to Apply
If you are an experienced and dedicated individual with a love for bringing out the best in young swimmers, please submit your resume or questions, to [email protected]
Jeanie Alexander, CGST Executive Committee Chair