Location: Buffalo, NY, USA
Team: Buffalo Area Aquatic Club
Job Title: Head Age Group Coach
Job Description: With guidance from BAAC’s Head Coach, the Head Age Group Coach will design and conduct the training program for the team’s Novice and Advanced groups.
Novice Group: This group is designed to be an introduction to the sport where athletes learn the legal strokes, good practice habits, and how to be a great teammate. Typically, this group consists of swimmers ranging 6-10 years old, but it is not limited to those ages. This group currently practices 4 days per week at 1 hour per practice.
Advanced: This group is designed for goal-oriented age group swimmers who have shown a level of skill and dedication to the sport that would have them seeking a higher level of performance each and every day. Currently, this group consists of swimmers ranging 10-14 years old. Amongst them are Team Record Holders, LSC Championship Finalists, Zones Finalists, and more. This group currently practices 6 days per week at 2 hours per practice.
From a group progression and swimmer development standpoint, the Novice and Advanced groups are separated by the team’s Age Group. Swimmers progressing from the team’s Advanced group will move into the Senior training program.
Responsibilities: BAAC’s Head Age Group Coach will:
– Collaborate with the team’s Head Coach to develop seasonal training plans for Novice, Age Group, and Advanced practice groups within the philosophy of BAAC’s program.
– design and conduct our Novice & Advanced groups, including developing and implementing dryland workouts.
– Create fun and engaging, yet challenging, skills based practices for the their training groups.
– Work with and mentor the other age group coaches and assist, as needed, them and their training groups.
– Attend all swim meets in which swimmer’s from under their direction are attending (usually one to two meets a month).
– Attend and participate in all staff meetings as requested by the Head Coach.
– Collaborate with the entire staff to develop benchmarks for measuring our swimmers’ improvement and increasing opportunities for all swimmers on the team.
– Work with the Head Coach to oversee individual and team entries, submit entries and post any relevant meet information to our website.
– Track swimmers’ training goals and statistics along with monthly attendance figures. This includes individual goal meetings with swimmers on a seasonal basis and any additional meetings as needed.
– Participate and provide input to Head Coach on hiring of new staff members.
– Attend and participate in our LSC House of Delegates meetings.
– 4+ years of coaching experience of high level age group or senior swimmers.
– ASCA level 2 or higher preferred.
– Bachelor’s Degree in athletic field.
– Experience with Team Unify and Hy-Tek is recommended. Ability to learn quickly is required if applicant is not familiar.
– Strong organizational skills and ability to give attention and critiques to all coached athletes on a daily basis in practice environments.
– Ability to meet all USA Swimming certification and coaching requirements (CPR, Safety Training for Swim Coaches, USA Background Check, Athlete Protection Training, etc.
– Passion and excitement for the sport of swimming and teaching athletes is a must.
Team Description: Buffalo Area Aquatic Club trains in an Olympic-sized pool in the Alumni Arena, which is located on the University at Buffalo’s Northern Campus in Buffalo, NY. The program has doubled in sized over the past year. Signs point to continued growth, and BAAC wants to add a 2nd full-time, progressive, and goal-oriented coach that will provide BAAC a competitive edge in the region while continuing to give our swimmers excellent opportunities for advancement.
Prior to the 2017 SC season, BAAC has won the Small Teams Division at Niagara’s LSC Championships (both SC and LC) for 4 years in a row. We did not win in the 2017 SC season as we’ve grown too large to be considered a small team, which we’re very proud of. Our goal is continued growth and progress amongst our swimmers and our program.
Buffalo, affectionately referred to as The City of Good Neighbors, is shedding its Rust Belt image and is home to a new waterfront, great restaurants (not even counting the wings), and is among the most affordable cities in the U.S. You’ll rarely commute for more than 20 minutes, and proximity to Toronto puts a major metropolis in easy driving distance.
BAAC holds Recognition Level 2 as a Board-governed team and is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization.
Compensation: This is a full-time, salaried position with compensation based on qualifications and experience. There is potential for bonuses and medical insurance allowance. Job related education and travel expenses are covered or reimbursed.
How to Apply
Email resume or inquiry to Dave Borden, Board President at [email protected].
Buffalo Area Aquatic Club
PO Box 425
Getzville, NY 14068