Applications due 04/22/18
Bellingham Bay Swim Team has an immediate opening for an experienced, dynamic, highly skilled and energetic Head Coach.
Title: BBST Head Coach
Reports to: BBST Board of Directors
Position Status: Full-time – Exempt
Located on Bellingham Bay with Mount Baker as its backdrop, Bellingham (population 85,000) is the last major city before the Washington coastline meets the Canadian border. It’s 85 miles north of Seattle and 50 miles south of Vancouver, B.C.
Bellingham is an acclaimed outdoor recreation haven and known for its subdued, healthy and authentic vibe. It’s been named “Best Place to Play Year Round,” “Adventure Town USA,” and “Best Place to Retire and Live,” by various media. While many come here to play hard and sweat, others take in the scenery, laid-back vibe and relax.
Please check out these links for additional information on Bellingham:
Info on Bellingham Schools:
The Bellingham Bay Swim Team (BBST-PN), (www.bellinghambayswimteam.org) of Bellingham, Washington (USA) is seeking a dynamic, motivated, highly skilled Head Coach for its year-round competitive swim program.
We are seeking an ASCA level 4 or higher Head Coach for our competitive swim team, but may consider the right candidate with a lower ranking. BBST is a USA Swimming affiliated team with a 23-year history. We currently have 110 swimmers in five progressive training groups: Bronze, Silver, Gold, & Senior A/B that train year-round with a staff of 4 certified coaches. These groups are designed to provide athletes with a fun team atmosphere where swimmers of similar ability and commitment practice together and TEAM is emphasized in a competitive setting.
BBST has swimmers from beginning age group to nationally-ranked athletes and relays. This includes numerous zone and junior national level athletes along with a 2016 USA Olympic Trials Qualifier & member of the 2017 USA World Junior Championship Team.
Many of our BBST alumni have gone on to swim collegiately at top-ranked universities, including the University of Pacific, Loyola Marymount University, Denison University, Kenyon College and the University of Vermont. BBST is a nonprofit 501c3 organization under the direction of a volunteer parent run Board of Directors elected annually by the membership.
Our current BBST coaching staff is exceptional. Members of our staff include the 2016 Developmental Coach of the Year for Pacific Northwest Swimming. Our Head Age Group Coach has years of experience with several large clubs in the Washington D.C. area, and has been responsible for developing the core of our team during the past 4 years. Our strength coach is currently a nationally-ranked All American USMS swimmer, personal trainer, and certified coach in kettlebell training and Advanced Rolfing.
The mission of the Bellingham Bay Swim Team is to provide an environment for swimmers to develop exceptional character through discipline and commitment to our shared values in the pursuit of excellence in competitive swimming.
- Establish an environment that fosters positive team attitudes and encourages self-discipline, sportsmanship and responsibility.
- Develop and maintain seasonal and quadrennial plans for the progression of our age group program and develops innovative techniques that show success and improvement. (This includes yardage and technique progressions, as well as how the groups are being challenged through competition and differentiated for movement up the team roster groups).
- Develop and implement team and individual goals with the swimmers and the Board of Directors, and monitor the progression of the athletes and team in reaching these goals.
- Design swimming and dryland curriculums for all BBST roster levels to promote stroke development and physical conditioning appropriate for the athletes’ current level of fitness and physical/emotional development, while maintaining an appropriate level of challenge necessary to produce improvement in speed, fitness, and progression to the next team roster level.
- Provide social/emotional support for athletes and differentiated programming to meet each athlete’s needs.
- Demonstrate a cooperative, responsive and respectful communication style with swimmers, parents, community members, staff, and Board.
- Effectively supervise and delegate responsibilities for a staff of 3-5 coaches. This includes practices as well as meets.
- Practice continuous improvement and professional development for self and assistant coaches; work to achieve next level of certification.
- Oversee all aspects of daily club operation in support of the swimmers, membership, and team mission and values. Strong organizational skills are a must.
- Prepare and present monthly Coach’s Report at Board of Directors’ meeting.
- Conduct monthly staff meeting with assistant coaches.
- Communicate with other teams and/or PNS regarding meet participation and entries.
- Maintain and update website information regarding practice schedules, meet entries, news, etc.
- Various administrative functions such as pool scheduling.
- Participate in monthly Board meetings as the board’s chief advisor. Head Coach is an Ex Officio non-voting member of the board.
- Work with the Board to ensure club mission, vision and values are achieved.
- Act as a team representative while attending LSC meetings.
- Maintain accurate records of individuals and relay performances, meet participation, practice attendance and more.
- Develop, and implement BBST Board policies and procedures.
- Maintain professional standard of safety, appearance and readiness.
- Facilitate and participate in club fundraisers.
- Must be CPR/AED certified and maintain current coaching certification.
- ASCA level 4 but may consider the right candidate with a lower ranking.
- Strong track record as an outstanding technical swim coach with demonstrated leadership and communication skills.
- Advanced experience coaching various ages and skill levels in a competitive environment.
- High-level swimming experience at the club and collegiate level.
- Experienced with TeamUnify and HyTek
- Ability to set and achieve individual and team goals and encourage others to do the same.
- ASCA level 4 or higher
- Bachelor’s degree in related field or equivalent experience
This is a year round, salaried position with opportunity for performance and fundraising based incentives. Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience within a range of $50,000 and $60,000 annually.
Links about the Bellingham Bay Swim Team:
How to Apply
APPLICATION PROCEDURES & DUE DATE
Position is open until filled. For priority consideration, submit application materials by April 22, 2018. All application materials should be sent to BBST Board President Clint Carlton at [email protected].
A complete application consists of:
- Letter of application detailing relevant experience and how the applicant is prepared to fulfill the responsibilities of the position
- Statement describing the applicant’s coaching philosophy
- Current resume
- List of three current references with contact information
- Salary expectations