Under the direction of the Head Coach, the Assistant Coach will represent La Salle University through the sport of Men’s and Women’s Swimming to its various constituents, while adhering to the mission and values of the University. The position requires a competent understanding of the technical aspects of the sport, knowledge and compliance of all Conference and NCAA rules, and the ability to successfully recruit quality student-athletes at the Division I level. The Assistant Coach is required to provide a positive experience for each student-athlete under his/her supervision. This is a full-time, 10-month position.
· Know, understand, and be responsible for all compliance with rules, regulations, and philosophies of the NCAA, various conferences, and La Salle University, including La Salle rules, regulations, polices, procedures, handbooks and manuals, applicable to the basketball program and to the students and athletes at La Salle.
· Responsibility for compliance with NCAA Bylaw 10.1 (ethical conduct) and NCAA Bylaw 11.2 (contractual agreements).
· Responsible for compliance with all rules, regulations, and principles of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), the Atlantic 10 Conference and any other conference with which the University may have an affiliation, and with the policies and procedures of La Salle University.
· Responsible for compliance with all of the regulations of Title IX related to Athletics in the administration of all-intercollegiate athletic programs, policies, and procedures.
· Responsibility to report to the Director of Athletics and Recreation any information about a potential student-athlete about past behavior and/or performance.
· Coordinate all recruit contacts with potential quality student-athletes, commensurate with the goals and standards of the University, to compete successfully at the Division I level.
· Coordinate all recruiting travel for coaching staff
· Coordinate all on and off campus recruiting visits.
· Must pass the NCAA test administered by the Faculty Athletics Representative to actively recruit.
· Report immediately all suspected or alleged NCAA and conference eligibility problems, rules infractions, and disciplinary actions to the Director of Recreation and Intercollegiate Athletics. Report immediately all suspected or alleged violations of law, and suspected or alleged violations of La Salle rules, regulations, policies, procedures, handbooks and manuals to the Director of Recreation and Intercollegiate Athletics.
· As a major representative of the University, lead and behave in an exemplary fashion especially by demonstrating reasonable self-control at contests with players, opposing coaches and players, officials, and fans.
· Refrain from any physical and/or verbal abuse of student-athletes, referees, or any persons associated with the Atlantic 10 Conference or the University
· Create a positive environment for student-athletes by communicating clearly and fairly with each student-athlete on matters, which affect his/her development including academic, physical, social, spiritual and athletic issues.
· Promote principles of sportsmanlike and ethical conduct in the Men’s and Women’s Swimming program, which support fundamental values of respect, fairness, civility, honesty, and responsibility among student-athletes, staff and fans.
· Assist in the organization of all aspects of an athletes’ development, including practice sessions, and preparation for contests.
· Communicate with the Director of Athletic Communications and Athletic Promotions on a regular basis on activities with public relations potential. Report anything, which may attract press/media attention to both the SID and the Director of Recreation and Intercollegiate Athletics.
· Accept no speaking engagement for money, endorsements, or any other outside employment at any time without prior approval of the Athletic Director.
· Maintain expense reports for all scouting, recruiting and travel expenses.
· Keep precise records of all recruiting contacts via forms supplied by Director of Compliance.
· Communicate with Head Coach on itineraries and vacation plans.
· Promote the University in general, and athletics in particular to include, but not limited to:
a. Attendance at appropriate alumni functions and post-game gatherings.
b. Assist in organization, follow-up and contact of alumni and friends of the University for the purpose of recruiting quality student-athletes, promoting attendance at games, and promoting the University in general.
c. Regular communication and personal contact with students, faculty and administration to promote general enthusiasm for the program, and attendance at games.
d. Involvement in the total athletic program of the University, including attendance at coaches meeting and support of department goals and objectives.
· Additional administrative duties to be assigned by the Director of Athletics.
· Support La Salle University’s educational philosophy and the goals of the Athletic Department as a loyal, energetic and highly visible University representative.
· Recruit, train and evaluate all assigned support staff within the Athletic Department.
· Participate actively in professional organizations through attendance at conferences, clinics and conventions as authorized by the Director in order to maintain awareness and understanding of current developments within all areas of responsibility.
· Assume additional duties and responsibilities as determined and assigned by the Director.
· Bachelor’s degree.
· Current CPR, AED, and First Aid certification must be maintained.
· Valid driver’s license and successful clearance of motor vehicle record check.
· Understanding of and commitment to the mission of La Salle University
· Successful background check clearances to include a PA Criminal Records Check, FBI Fingerprinting Check and PA Child Abuse Clearance Check
How to Apply
Head Swimming & Diving Coach
La Salle University
1900 West Olney Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19141