Location: Amherst, MA, USA
Amherst College invites applications for the Assistant Coach of Men’s and Women’s Swimming position. TheAssistant Coach of Men’s and Women’s Swimming is a casual position with no benefits.Amherst College has profoundly transformed its student body in terms of socioeconomic status, ethnicity, and nationality, among other areas. Today, nearly one-quarter of Amherst’s students are Pell Grant recipients; 45 percent of our studentsidentify as domestic students of color. Our expectation is that the successful candidate will excel at working in a community that is broadly diverse with regard to race, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, and religion.
The successful candidate will assist the head coach in all aspects of a highly competitive NCAA Division III swimming and diving program. The applicant will be primarily involved in on-deck coaching, recruiting, meet management, dry land training and various other administrative tasks as assigned by the head coach. The position requires an understanding of the role of intercollegiate athletics in a highly competitive academic environment. The assistant coach takes appropriate actions to support a diverse workforce and participates in the College’s efforts to create a respectful, inclusive, and welcoming work environment.
Summary of Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coaching –Assist with coaching strategies and teaching methods to develop student-athletes’ skill and teamwork, analyze performance of teams and individuals and provide leadership and instruction, evaluate opponents and develop meet strategies, assist in pre-season, in-season, and post-season training and practice planning
- Recruiting –Participates in scouting and recruits prospective student-athletes, helps monitor the progress of prospective student-athletes application process, helps coordinate and organize potential student-athlete on-campus visits
- Program responsibilities –Compliance with College, NESCAC, and NCAA rules and regulations
- Bachelor’s Degree
- A valid driver’s license and successful credentialing is required in order to operate College vehicles
- Collegiate playing and/or coaching experience preferred
- Commitment to working with a diverse and inclusive community
Interestedcandidates are asked to submit a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information (email and/or telephone numbers) for three professional references. Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.
ABOUT AMHERST COLLEGE
Amherst College, one of the premier liberal arts colleges in the nation, is located in Amherst, Massachusetts, a town of approximately 35,000 residents in the western part of the state. The college’s community is composed of about1,800 students from 48 states, plus Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico and 54 countries around the world, and about 1,000 staff and faculty. The college’s scenic 1,000-acre campus includes a 500-acre wildlife sanctuary and the Book & Plow Farm ; three museums: Emily Dickinson Museum , Beneski Museum of Natural History and Mead Art Museum ; and multiple educational and cultural venues and resources through the Five College Consortium. The town of Amherst offers an amazing variety of coffee shops, restaurants and entertainment, and a very active outdoor life. Our vibrant campus, diverse community and beautiful surrounding, makes Amherst College and the Town of Amherst the perfect place to work, learn and live!