Applications due 05/06/21
Date posted: April 22, 2021
Location: Iowa City, IA, USA
Recreation Services at the University of Iowa is seeking an Assistant Coach for the Iowa Flyers Swim Club Program (IFLY). This position will assist with the coaching and administration of the IFLY Swim Club program, with primary responsibility for the developmental and age group swimmers in the general track. This position will also provide assistance as needed to the head coach with implementing workouts for the elite track. This position includes administrative duties related to the operation of the club in addition to coaching (such as answering email, making phone calls, scheduling, conducting evaluations of swimmers, maintaining team information & calendars, etc.)
For a detailed job description, please email Melanie Bell at [email protected].
About Iowa Flyers Swim Club (IFLY):
The Iowa Flyers Swim Club (IFLY) is a registered USA Swimming member swim club operated by University of Iowa Recreational Services. The club is a competitive age-group swim club open to University of Iowa members and the general public which offers participation levels from developmental through Masters swimming. The club is part of a comprehensive aquatics program offered by Recreational Services. The mission of the Iowa Flyers Swim Club is to provide exceptional competitive and recreational opportunities in the sport of swimming to the University of Iowa students, faculty, and staff, as well as to the general community. IFLY is determined to provide its members a fun, positive, and successful experience through quality coaching and instruction and the use of state-of-the-art facilities. The Iowa Flyers practice in the University of Iowa Campus Recreation and Wellness Center (CRWC) and the University of Iowa Field House.
About Recreational Services:
The Department of Recreational Services is an integral part of the Hawkeye tradition. Part of the Division of Student Life, the department promotes and coordinates campus-wide competitive and recreational activities. Recreational services works to provide a diverse recreational experience that encourages active lifestyles for the University of Iowa community. The department’s goal is to support the academic mission of the university while contributing to the holistic development of each individual.
About the Division of Student Life:
The Division of Student Life is comprised of staff that embrace new ideas and thoughts, works together to keep our students safe, and provides them with life-changing experiences. The Division of Student Life includes 15 departments that span from Recreation Services to the Office of Leadership, Service and Civic Engagement and everything in between. We believe in working together as one team to achieve our mission: fostering student success by creating and promoting inclusive educationally purposeful services and activities within and beyond the classroom. One of our division priorities is to advance UI’s goals to recruit and retain U.S. racial/ethnic minority (URM) staff and students.
- Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and related coaching experience.
- Coaching experience (typically 6 months – 1 year) in competitive and developmental age group swimmers with multiple age groups and ability levels in a club or YMCA environment or equivalent.
- Current USA Swimming coach registration.
- Current CPR, First Aid, and Safety Training for Swim Coaches certifications as deemed acceptable by USA Swimming for coaches safety certification required upon hire.
- American Red Cross CPR/AED for Lifeguards and Lifeguarding/First Aid certifications, or the ability to obtain within 3 months of hire.
- Commitment to and alignment with the values of the Division of Student Life, including a demonstrated commitment to excellent through anti-oppression, diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Demonstrated working knowledge and proficiency in use of Microsoft Office software applications (i.e. Word, Excel, and Outlook.)
- Willingness and ability to work a flexible schedule including evenings and weekends, as well as willingness and ability to travel.
- Advanced coaching experience (typically 2 years or more) in competitive and developmental age group swimmers with multiple age groups and ability levels in a club or YMCA environment.
- Working experience in a club or YMCA program of greater than 150 members.
- Personal competition experience as a swimmer at age group level.
- American Swim Coaches Association (ASCA) membership.
- Experience using Team Unity Swimming team management program.
- Experience using Hy-Tek meet Manager software and/or operating a swimming timing system (i.e. Colorado Daktronics.)
- American Red Cross Lifeguarding Instructor (LGI) certification or ability to obtain within 1 year of hire.
How to Apply
All applicants must apply online via the jobs.uiowa.edu website in order to be considered.
Direct Link to Apply: http://p.rfer.us/UIOWAQap7VL
The University of Iowa is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment free from discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, religion, associational preference, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.