Applications due 04/19/21
Date posted: April 5, 2021
Location: 2180 Milvia Street, Berkeley, CA, USA
The City of Berkeley is excited to share the recruitment for Aquatics Facilities Supervisor. This classification is responsible for the planning, organizing, directing, supervising, and participating in the operations and maintenance of one or more swimming pools and adjacent facilities. The Aquatics Facilities Supervisor is distinguished from the Aquatics Coordinator position in that the latter has overall supervisory responsibility for City aquatics centers and aquatics programs. The City of Berkeley is seeking applications from highly skilled individuals with recreational or educational program experience related to pool management, swim instruction, life guarding, or coaching. The incumbent assists in the planning and implementation of aquatics programs, maintains records, and enforces safe pool practices.
Successful applicants will have the ability to:
- Ensure that City aquatics facilities are in compliance with local, state, and federal health and safety codes and regulatory law;
- Maintain order and exercise crowd control when warranted;
- Complete regular pool maintenance: testing of pool water, balancing chemicals in pools, maintaining records, conducting pool deck maintenance, monitoring functioning of equipment such as chemical feed and filtration systems;
- Identify the need for and coordinate the maintenance, repair or replacement of pool equipment and facilities;
- Ensure the proper opening and closing of aquatics facilities;
- Assist in the planning, supervision and evaluation of all aquatics programs, including special events, drop-in programs, shower program, and swim instruction programs;
- Recruit, train, supervise, and provide constructive feedback for staff and volunteers; coordinate assignments, orient staff on procedures and policies; prepare and conduct in-service training programs;
- Report critical maintenance issues raised by staff, volunteers, or the public and document any actions taken to resolve the issues;
- Ensure the accuracy of staff time cards;
- May serve as a lifeguard, coach, or instructor of any and all aquatics or water-safety programs including assistance with registration, cashiering, and locker room responsibilities;
- Monitor supply needs and order necessary supplies, materials, and equipment and set up aquatics facility rentals; and
- Perform related duties as required.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
• Equivalent to graduation from high school
• Three (3) summers/seasons or 600 working hours in an organized recreational or educational
program related to swimming pool management, swim instruction, lifeguarding, or coaching.
Previous staff supervisory experience is desirable. Water Safety Instructor certification is desirable.
• Must be able to travel to various locations within and outside the City of Berkeley to meet the
program needs and to fulfill the job responsibilities. When driving on City business, maintenance of
a valid California driver’s license and satisfactory driving record is required.
• Possession of a current American Red Cross Lifeguard/First Aid certificate.
• Possession of a current American Red Cross CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer certificate.
• Possession of a Certified Pool Operator certificate by date of appointment.
How to Apply
For more information and requirements, as well as to apply for this position, please visit our website at
Contact Information2180 Milvia Street
Berkeley, CA 94704