The YMCA of Greater New York reaches half a million New Yorkers through programs that focus on youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. The Prospect Park YMCA is seeking for an experienced individual who will maintain safe conditions in and around the swim area. The Aquatic Deck Supervisor will promote a safe and positive atmosphere in accordance with YMCA aquatics policies and procedures, and will provide swim instruction for different ages and ability levels. This person will also provide deck supervision during program times, assist the Aquatics Director with maintaining records, and ensure participants/parent concerns are addressed in a timely manner.
- Enforce aquatics safety rules consistently and fairly.
- Ensure instructional equipment remains in good condition; have all equipment ready prior to classes and put away after.
- Know and understand the Emergency Action Plan and Emergency Evacuation Routes.
- Maintain positive relationships with class participants, parents, non-class members and staff.
- Assist the Aquatics Director with office duties including, but not limited to: retrieving and responding to messages, assisting with program and staff schedules, assisting in maintaining class ratios when needed, and covering Lifeguard and/or Swim Instructor shifts when needed.
- Support and assist with fundraising and program events.
- Follow the directions of the YMCA aquatic supervisors in accordance with YMCA aquatic standards
- Actively participate in all training sessions, designated meetings and fundraising events.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Previous experience working as a lifeguard, swim instructor or in a related field.
- Current YMCA or Red Cross Lifeguard certification or equivalent. Must obtain YMCA Lifeguard certification within 90 days of hire.
- Current YMCA Swim Lesson Instructor certification or equivalent. Must obtain YMCA Swim Lesson certification within 120 days of hire.
- Current CPRO, First Aid and Emergency Oxygen certifications.
- Demonstrate swim strokes, lifeguard rescues and CPRO/FA/EO skills.
- Must be willing to work flexible hours, including weekends and holidays.
How to Apply
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity. If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please forward your cover letter and resume with subject line “Aquatic Deck Supervisor” to [email protected] or to:
Prospect Park YMCA
Att.: Amy Whitsell
357 Ninth Street
Brooklyn, NY 11215
New York City’s YMCA | WE’RE HERE FOR GOOD
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
357 Ninth Street