Applications due 09/30/19
Location: 14 Old South Freeport Road, Freeport, ME, USA
Looking for a job where you can have fun AND make a difference in your community? Consider the Y!
The YMCA of Southern Maine is a charitable community organization committed to building strong communities through programs and services for all. We value diversity and inclusion, and actively work to create a safe, welcoming place for our neighbors. Each year, we serve over 30,000 people through child care, early childhood education, water safety, housing support, summer camp, and community outreach and health programs. As a nonprofit organization, our programs are accessible to all, regardless of one’s ability to pay.
Under the direction of the Aquatics Director, the Aquatics Coordinator is responsible for effectively and safely supervising the pool environment to prevent drowning and injuries in accordance with the policies established by the YMCA. Responsible for overseeing related administrative responsibilities. Policies must be followed within the National YMCA guidelines.
Candidates must have strong organizational and administrative skills. Must be able to pass the Lifeguarding class within three weeks of hiring.
The ideal candidate will be able to work Tuesday through Saturday.
1. Teach swim lessons, water exercise, lifeguard and other programs as deemed necessary.
2. Provide coverage as needed in the event of inadequate staffing and lifeguard breaks.
3. Orient, acclimate and train new lifeguards to the facility, programs and the YMCA.
4. Assist in producing pool schedules and maintain program calendar.
5. Act as a resource to members and respond to questions or concerns as needed.
6. Check and record pool chemistry and discuss related concerns with Facilities department.
7. Develop and implement new programs.
8. Assist in Y Activities and special events as assigned by the Supervisor.
9. Assist in developing the budget and adhering to company policy regarding fiscal compliance.
10. Actively pursue opportunities to generate income through appropriate mission driven, consistent programs and activities.
11. Participate in Annual Campaign.
12. Complete all work in a timely manner thoroughly and satisfactorily.
13. Communicate effectively with support services, Executive Director and other program leaders to coordinate programs and the needs of groups.
14. Provide administrative support for the department as needed including, returning phone calls, typing correspondence, producing flyers and maintaining files
15. Assist in management of pool rentals.
16. In conjunction with the Aquatics Director, assist in supervising employees in the department.
17. Assist with interviewing, hiring, goal setting, training, planning, assigning and directing work and performance evaluations.
18. Assist with addressing complaints and resolving problems.
19. In the absence of the Aquatics Director provide overall direction, coordination and management of the department.
20. Other duties as required.
• High School Diploma.
• 2-4 years of experience in Aquatics field.
• 1 year of supervisory experience.
• Certified in YMCA On the Guard II and/or ARC Lifeguarding (YMCA Preferred).
• YMCA Swim instructor course and/or WSI.
• Automatic External Defribulator (AED) and Oxygen (02) Training.
• Working knowledge Microsoft Office Suite.
• Ability to effectively communicate in person and on the phone with all levels of employees and members.
• Effective interpersonal skills, with a customer service focus.
• Ability to work independently as well as within teams.
• Excellent organizational skills with attention to details.
• Extremely reliable, dependable, and punctual.
• Good decision making skills.
• Ability to take initiative and be self-motivated.
• Possess a valid driver’s license, reliable vehicle and ability to travel locally.
Cost shared premium with Health, Dental. Employer paid Short & Long Term Disability and Life insurance, when eligible 7% employer contribution toward Retirement plan, Free Individual or Family YMCA membership, casual work environment with a culture focused on relationship building and our mission. Generous Paid Time Off Policy granted Immediately upon hire: 224 hours of PTO (prorated based on hire date), 5 days of Floating Holiday and 6 paid Holidays.
How to Apply
70 Forest Avenue