2019 CANADIAN SWIMMING TRIALS
- April 3-7, 2019
- Toronto Pan Am Sports Centre, Toronto, ON
- LCM (50m)
- Prelims/Finals: 9:30 am / 6:00 pm ET
- Psych Sheets
- Live Results
- Live Stream (Rectectv)
- Live Stream (CBC Sports)
- Day 4 Prelims Heat Sheet
Day four prelims from the Toronto Pan Am Sports Centre will feature heats in the 200 free, 200 fly, and 50 breast, along with the para 200 free, 50 breast, and 100 breast.
The women’s race will also feature Penny Oleksiak, Kayla Sanchez, Rebecca Smith, Emily Overholt, and Mackenzie Padington – all of whom have already qualified for the team. Sydney Pickrem has scratched.
Women’s 200 Free Prelims
- Canadian Record: 1:54.44, Taylor Ruck, 2018
- FINA ‘A’ Cut: 1:58.66
- Alyson Ackman, PCSC, 1:58.85
- Penny Oleksiak, TSC, 1:59.09
- Taylor Ruck, SCAR, 1:59.33
- Kennedy Goss, GGST, 1:59.37
- Rebecca Smith, SCAR, 1:59.48
- Kayla Sanchez, AAC, 1:59.96
- Erika Seltenreich-Hodgson, GO, 2:00.33
- Emma O’Croinin, EKSC, 2:00.84
- Kelsey Wog, UMAN, 2:01.17
- Katerine Savard, CAMO, 2:01.25
Men’s 200 Free Prelims
- Canadian Record: 1:46.40, Brent Hayden, 2008
- FINA ‘A’ Cut: 1:47.40
- Markus Thormeyer, UBCSC, 1:48.51
- Carson Olafson, UBCSC, 1:49.84
- Jeremy Bagshaw, ISC, 1:50.63
- Ruslan Gaziev, OAK, 1:51.21
- Owen Daly, CAMO, 1:51.35
- Alexander Pratt, UBCSC, 1:51.47
- Vincent Laperle, NN, 1:51.82
- Colin Gilbert, KCS, 1:51.98
- Parker Neri, UNCAN, 1:52.00
- Peter Brothers, UCSC, 1:52.04
Dylan Carter was the fastest man in the 200 free this morning, coming just five one-hundredths off of his Trinidad and Tobago National Record in 1:47.82.
He and Andrea D’Arrigo (1:50.05) will contest the ‘B’ final tonight since they’re international swimmers.
The top Canadian was Markus Thormeyer, who was chasing Carter in the final heat. He touched in 1:48.51, and his UBC teammate Carson Olafson was the only other swimmer sub-1:50 in 1:49.84. Thormeyer will be looking to hit the ‘A’ cut of 1:47.40 to add a fourth individual event for Worlds tonight, already making it in the 100 back, 100 free, and 200 back. Olafson has also already made the team in the 400 free relay.
Jeremy Bagshaw (1:50.63) and Ruslan Gaziev (1:51.21), who have both yet to make the team, qualified third and fourth respectively and will be looking to remain in the top-4 tonight to get on the team for the relay.
Women’s 200 Fly Prelims
- Canadian Record: 2:05.95, Audrey Lacroix, 2009
- FINA ‘A’ Cut: 2:09.21
- Danielle Hanus, ISC, 2:12.86
- Mary-Sophie Harvey, CAMO, 2:12.88
- Mabel Zavaros, OAK, 2:14.02
- Lora Willar, PCSC, 2:15.13
- Victoria Kwan, TSC, 2:15.23
- Summer McIntosh, ESWIM, 2:16.02
- Mia Zahab, NKB, 2:16.38
- Hannah Genich, TSC, 2:16.77
- Josie Field, LOSC, 2:17.38
- Aryanna Fernandes, UNVAR, 2:17.61
Mary-Sophie Harvey moved past Mabel Zavaros on the last 50 of the first circle-seeded heat in the women’s 200 fly for a final time of 2:12.88, improving her personal best of 2:12.95 from the 2017 Mesa Pro Swim Series. Zavaros touched in 2:14.02, and they end up qualifying for the final second and third overall respectively.
Danielle Hanus was 2:12.86 in the final heat, just behind Kathrin Demler (2:12.76), but since Demler isn’t Canadian she can’t advance to the ‘A’ final. The same goes for Jing Wen Quah, who had the fastest time overall from the penultimate heat in 2:12.44.
Qualifiyng in sixth was junior standout Summer McIntosh of Etobicoke, who took over a second off her 11-12 NAG of 2:17.29 in 2:16.02.
Men’s 200 Fly Prelims
- Canadian Record: 1:56.27, Mack Darragh, 2018
- FINA ‘A’ Cut: 1:56.71
- Mack Darragh, OAK, 2:00.50
- Montana Champagne, GO, 2:01.45
- Josiah Binnema, UBCSC, 2:01.73
- Cole Pratt, CASC, 2:01.95
- Osvald Nitski, OAK, 2:02.11
- Dmitriy Lim, UBCSC, 2:03.31
- Charles Millette, PCSC, 2:03.61
- Ray Yang, ESWIM, 2:04.20
- Brendan Oswald, WAC, 2:04.33
- Brendan Vanherk, BLEN, 2:04.40
Singaporean Zheng Wen Quah was the only swimmer sub-2:00 in the 200 fly prelims in a time of 1:57.88.
Leading the way for the Canadians was National Record holder Mack Darragh, who mowed down Josiah Binnema on the last 50 of the final heat for the top qualifying time into the ‘A’ final of 2:00.50. Darragh has yet to qualfiy for the Worlds team with his two best events, this and the 200 IM, falling on the last two days of competition.
Binnema qualified third in a time of 2:01.73, less than a second off his personal best.
Montana Champagne won the first circle-seeded heat in 2:01.45 over Cole Pratt (2:01.95) as they advance in second and fourth respectively.
Women’s 50 Breast Prelims
- Canadian Record: 30.33, Amanda Reason, 2009
- FINA ‘A’ Cut: 31.22
- Rachel Nicol, UCSC, 31.35
- Faith Knelson, ISC, 31.54
- Bailey Andison, PERTH, 31.87
- Nina Kucheran, SLSC, 32.12
- Avery Wiseman, OSC, 32.25
- Sophie Angus, UNCAN, 32.31
- Lili Chicoine, NN, 32.37
- Hillary Metcalfe, LOSC, 32.45
- Marie-Laurence Godin, SHER / Sofia Carnevale, UNVAR, 32.59
Rachel Nicol from the University of Calgary Swim Club leads the women’s 50 breast field into the final in a time of 31.35, followed by Faith Knelson (31.54) of Island and Bailey Andison (31.87) of the Perth Stingrays.
This is Andison’s first time breaking 32 seconds, while fourth seed Nina Kucheran of Sudbury was just .06 off her best in 32.12. Both swimmers are coming off of the NCAA Championships two weeks ago.
Surprisingly missing the final was Kelsey Wog, who came in seeded third. She ended up 13th in 32.86. She did have the 200 free earlier on in the session, however.
Men’s 50 Breast Prelims
- Canadian Record: 27.45, Scott Dickens, 2009
- FINA ‘A’ Cut: 27.39
- Alexander Milanovich, ESWIM, 27.86
- Gabe Mastromatteo, KSS, 28.23
- John Fauteux, MSSAC, 28.49
- Connor Islings, PCSC, 28.57
- James Dergousoff, CHENA, 28.95
- Jonathan Naisby, SHER, 29.43
- Steven Lee, KBM, 29.46
- Daniel Greer, UVPCS, 29.48
- Anis Chabi, CAMO, 29.49
- Nicholas Bulban, RHAC, 29.58
Etobicoke’s Alexander Milanovich snuck under his best time by .01 to take the top seed by nearly four-tenths of a second in the men’s 50 breast, clocking 27.86.
Gabe Mastromatteo of Kenora, who owns a best of 27.94, qualified second in 28.23.