2021 FRENCH ELITE SWIMMING CHAMPIONSHIPS
- Tuesday, June 15 – Sunday, June 20, 2021
- Piscine de l’Odyssée, Chartres, France
- Long Course Meters (50M)
- Olympic Selection Event
- French Olympic Qualifying Procedures
- Meet Site (LIVE FFN)
- List of Entrants
- Live Results
- Television rights: beIN SPORTS
During the second night of racing at the 2021 French Elite Swimming Nationals Mewen Tomac raced his way to a French title in the 100 backstroke and booked his ticket to Tokyo with a 53.13.
That swim got him under the 53.85 qualifying standard in the event and got him to the wall just ahead of Yohann Ndoye Brouard‘s silver medal-winning 53.47. Brouard is already qualified to race both the 100 and 200 backstroke this summer, having qualified earlier this year.
While Tomac became the only new qualifier for the team, there were 2 very close calls in the women’s 1500 freestyle and 100 backstroke.
In the 1500 free, Aurelie Muller won the race with a 16:22.66 which left her just a second over the required standard of 16:21.21. The swim was a solid PB for Muller, improving upon her 16:24.24 from back in 2017.
A few heats later in the women’s 100 backstroke, Beryl Gastaldello missed the 100 backstroke cut by only 0.14 seconds with a 1:00.39 compared to the 1:00.25 she needed. That marks Gastaldello’s second close call of the meet after she attempted to hit the 57.92 100 butterfly standard but wound up with a 58.33.
Tomac’s addition brings the French Olympic roster up to 10:
2021 French Olympic Swimming Roster
- Florent Manaudou – 50 freestyle
- Yohann Ndoye Brouard – 100 / 200 backstroke
- David Aubry – 800 freestyle
- Marie Wattel – 100 freestyle / 100 butterfly
- Melanie Henique – 50 freestyle
- Leon Marchand – 400 IM
- Fantine Lesaffre – 200 IM
- Cyrielle Duhamel – 200 IM
- Theo Bussiere – 100 breaststroke (medley relay leg)
- Mewen Tomac – 100 backstroke