2021 Pro Swim Series — San Antonio
- January 14-17, 2021
- North East ISD Blossom Athletic Complex, San Antonio, Texas
- LCM (50m)
- Meet Info (Both Sites)
- Psych Sheet
- Live Results
- Session Timelines
- How To Watch
- Live Stream (USA Swimming)
- Start Times (Central Time): Women’s Prelims: 9:00 a.m. / Men’s Prelims: 90 minutes after women’s prelims (between 11:30 – 12:00) / Finals: 6:00 p.m.
Sunday Finals Heat Sheet
World record-holder Regan Smith from Riptide scratched the 200 back final after placing 3rd in prelims this morning. This decision comes after she won the 100 back final on Saturday, out-touching Olivia Smoliga by less than .20. Smith is entered in no other events tonight.
Likewise, on the men’s side, Will Grant of Veritas scratched the 200 back final after decisively winning the prelims heat by a second and a half. He came within 2 seconds of his lifetime best from the U.S. Open (1:59.52), which is the 2nd fastest time swam by an American this season. With only 5 men entered in the prelims race, Grant scratching brings the finals heat down to 4 swimmers. This was his last event of the San Antonio Pro Swim Series.
Another member of the women’s 200 back prelims missing from tonight’s heat sheet is Sarasota Sharks’ Emma Weyant who was ranked 6th going into the final. She scratched to focus on the 100 free consolation final where she is ranked 16th.
U.S. National Team member Erica Sullivan of Sandpipers is listed as a “medical scratch” on tonight’s 1500 free finals heat sheet. “Yeah I was just sick in Dec. and had been training for a week prior to this meet,” she told SwimSwam through text. “I wanted to swim but was advised against it by my peers until I’d been in the water a bit longer.”
Sullivan was the top seed going into the race. She competed in the 800 free final on Thursday and the 400 free final last night, finishing in 2nd place and 8th place, respectively.
The men’s 1500 free timed final is down to 4 swimmers after 2nd seed Arik Katz, #3 Jack Collins, and #5 Chris Wieser scratched. Collins competed in the 400 free on Saturday, placing 9th in prelims and scratching finals. Katz and Wieser are absent from the meet.
It’s important to note that a significant amount of the event scratches that took place on Sunday happened in the form of no-shows during prelims:
- Kathleen Baker and Beata Nelson no-showed the 200 back to focus on the 200 IM.
- Olivia Smoliga no-showed the 200 back to focus on the 100 free.
- Melanie Margalis no-showed the 200IM to focus on the 100 free.
- Shaine Casas and Ryan Murphy no-showed the 200IM to focus on the 200 back.
- Emma Barksdale no-showed the 200 IM.
- Maxime Rooney no-showed the 200 back and 100 free.
All San Antonio Day 4 Finals Scratches:
- Women’s 1500 Free: #1 Erica Sullivan
- Men’s 1500 Free: #2 Arik Katz, #3 Jack Collins, #5 Chris Wieser,
- Women’s 200 IM: —
- Men’s 200 IM: #14 Brandon Vines, #15 Yaseen El Demerdash, #16 David Gelfand
- Women’s 200 Back: #3 Regan Smith, #6 Emma Weyant
- Men’s 200 Back: #1 Will Grant
- Women’s 100 Free: —
- Men’s 100 Free: #9 Nathan Lile, #16 Steven Richardson
She didn’t look great
Don’t know why the downvotes.
There have been some tired / poor January swims here, Regan went just shy of pb+10 that’s Lochte bad in season,
And was spinning.
She did not look good, it’s a correct assessment. Her 200fly / 200free /100bk were gutsy swims.
Just as Maxine Rooney did not look good. Or Dean Farris. Or Tom Shields. Infact it’s probably easier to list who did look good at this meet which is a small list if we are been honest.
I agree. Prior to 2020 she had some monster in season swims and was usually consistent, but 2020 has been another story. Hope its just heavy training.
Agree. She was a lot faster last January. 58.2 100bk, 2:05.9 200bk, and some great fly times.
I wonder if she was out of the water again. I know that some teams in Minnesota just got back into the pool at the start of the month.
I wonder the same thing because MN pools were shut down from before Thanksgiving until just after New Years. I assume she relocated temporarily to keep training
Why’d Regan scratch?
I thought that was Katie ledecky in the pic .. I didn’t know her and regan looked similar
I didn’t know people thought they looked similar