2017 LONG COURSE YMCA NATIONALS
- Monday, July 31st – Friday, August 4th
- Greensboro, North Carolina
- LCM (50m)
- Full Competition Schedule
- Meet Info
- Psych Sheets
- Live results (also on Meet Mobile)
DAY 4 HIGHLIGHTS
Following a women’s final that came down to the last stroke, was a national record by Ross Dant in the 400 meter free. Dant went head to head with the former record holder and 2017 200 free champion, Hank Siefert. Dant led the entire race, going out in 57.4. His early speed was too much for Siefert to overcome as he flew to a 3:56.82, shattering Siefert’s previous record of 3;58.37 set in 2015. Siefert finished just off his best time in 3:58.95.
The only other national record of the night was set by Door County’s (WI) Maxwell McHugh as he re-broke his own national YMCA record set earlier this morning (1:02.68) clocking in at 1:02.64. It was McHugh’s third title of the meet, as he swept the breaststroke events in Greensboro. The previous record was held by Eric Ronda set in 2013.
The York (PA) Women’s relay team attempted to re-gain the lead in the women’s team standings in the last event of the night, the 800 free relay. The team of Madison Nalls, Marisa Gingerich, Marget Shelly, and Leah Braswell touched first by over 5 seconds in 8:24.o6. However, the Cheshire (CT) women refused to give up the lead in the women’s standings as the team of Elizabeth Boyer, Tara Tiernan, Mia Leko, and 14-year-old Alexandra Tyler finished in third place, less than a tenth behind Somerset Valley (NJ) at 8:29.16.
Other Day 4 Winners
- Catherine Buroker of Wilton-Ct charged home in a 31.5 on the last lap to touch out Nicole Welch in 4:20.91. Welch finished in 4:21.00
- Monika Burzynski of FanwoodScotch-NJ won the 50 fly in the last stroke by just .02 with a time of 27.81
- Brendan Burns continues his dominance tonight with his third win in as many races by winning the 50 fly in 25.04 He will be swimming the 200 fly (1 seed) and 50 back (3 seed) tomorrow
- Cheshire’s Liz Boyer took first in the 100 breast in 1:12.94 in a convincing win. Boyer finished 3rd in the 200 breast earlier in the week.
- The women’s 50 free winner, and only swimmer under 26 seconds (25.90) was Bailey Grinter of Edwardsville-IL. Grinter will swim the 50 back tomorrow as the number 1 overall seed.
- Henry Schutte won the 50 free easily at 23.06, just .04 off Joe Bonk’s 2012 record. The 16-year-old Schutte had already split under 23 earlier in the meet and is the number 1 seed in the 100 free and will compete tomorrow in that event.
- The Powel Crosley 800 free men’s relay team of Carson Burt, Dan Cashell, Will Schwieterman, and Charles Leibson, just edged out Wilton in the final race of the night.
Team Standings After Day 4:
- Cheshire YMCA – 260
- York and York County YMCA – 253
- Fanwood Scotch Plains YMCA – 222
- Red Bank Branch – 218
- ME Lyons Anderson YMCA – 201
- Powel Crosley Jr YMCA – 300
- Somerset Valley YMCA – 237
- Lakeland Hills Family YMCA – 213
- Red Bank Branch – 192
- Somerset Hills YMCA – 184