2017 WOMEN’S NCAA CHAMPIONSHIPS
- Wednesday, March 15 – Saturday, March 18
- IUPUI Natatorium – Indianapolis, IN
- Prelims 10AM/Finals 6PM (Eastern Time)
- Defending Champion: Georgia (results)
- Championship Central
- Psych Sheet
- Event Previews
- Live Stream: Wednesday/Thursday Prelims & Finals, Friday/Saturday Prelims / Friday/Saturday finals on ESPN3
- Live Results
California sophomore Kathleen Baker was named the 2017 CSCAA Swimmer of the Year after winning three individual events and helping the Golden Bears to a 2nd-place finish at the 2017 NCAA Division I championships.
Baker, the only swimmer to win three events outright, kicked off her individual swims with a 1:51.69 in the 200 IM. She overcame a stacked field that included Stanford’s Ella Eastin, the fastest swimmer ever in the event. Baker then doubled in the backstrokes, taking the 100 back in 49.84 (although she swam a 49.80 in prelims), and the 200 back in 1:48.44.
Additionally, Baker was a crucial part of four Cal relays. She led off Cal’s 800 Free Relay en route to a 2nd place finish, then led off the Bears 400 medley relay. Her leadoff leg was the 2nd fastest 100 back ever, although Cal’s victory was negated when the relay was disqualified due to an early takeoff. Baker also had the fastest leadoff leg in the field on Cal’s 1st place 200 medley relay, then wrapped up the meet by helping Cal take 3rd in the 400 free relay.
While Baker had an impressive week, there were definitely other swimmers whose performances certainly received consideration. Katie Ledecky also won three events, and while she tied in the 200 free with Mallory Comerford, Ledecky did take down a U.S. Open record in the 500 free. She also won the 1650 free and contributed to Stanford’s two free relay victories. Simone Manuel and Lilly King each had two individual victories, and each swimmer also set new records in at least one swim.
Baker is the fifth Cal Bear to win the award since it was first given out in 2005.
- 2016 Lilly King, Indiana
- 2015 Missy Franklin, California
- 2014 Brittany MacLean, Georgia
- 2013 Elizabeth Pelton, California
- 2012 Caitlin Leverenz, California
- 2011 Katinka Hosszu, Southern California
- 2010 Julia Smit, Stanford
- 2009 Dana Vollmer, California
- 2008 Caroline Burkle, Florida
- 2007 Kara Lynn Joyce, Georgia
- 2006 Kara Lynn Joyce, Georgia
- 2005 Kirsty Coventry, Auburn