Location: 4634 S 74th St, Tacoma, WA 98409, USA
Metro Aquatics is searching for an enthusiastic and dedicated Associate Senior Coach to work with
our High School, Sectional, and Elite Racing Team groups. The Associate Senior Coach will work
closely alongside the Head Coach and must be capable of autonomously running each aspect of the
Metro Aquatics is part of the Metro Parks Tacoma swim teams program, which serves over 400
swimmers (10% African American/Black; 18% Latino/Hispanic; 22% Asian; and 48% white). 40%
of our team members qualify for free/reduced lunch. The Associate Senior Coach must be capable
of creating a positive and inclusive environment that welcomes youth from ethnically diverse and
resource-challenged populations. Our mission for senior coaching to assist all swimmers in
identifying and achieving success, whatever success means for each individual.
Metro Aquatics is a parks-owned, coach-run, USA-Swimming Club Recognition Level 3 competitive
swimming program located in Tacoma, Washington. In the past ten years, our senior program has
had 99% annual lifetime bests in primary events; a top-40 finisher at the U.S. Olympic Trails and a
U.S. Paralympic Trials champion. Metro Parks currently operates developmental swim teams in
seven facilities and year-round competitive programs in three pools.
In the performance of respective tasks and duties all Metro Aquatics coaches are expected to:
• Maintain a positive attitude and set an example of good sportsmanship.
• Have excellent administrative and organizational skills.
• Build community enthusiasm and team camaraderie.
• Ensure athlete retention and participation in selected meets and team events.
• Emphasize proper technique and conditioning.
• Motivate swimmers in a positive manner.
• Resolve conflicts in a professional, tactful manner.
• Prove to be highly punctual.
• Conduct oneself in a professional manner in the pool and in the community.
• Support the mission and philosophies of Metro Parks Tacoma.
• Ensure swim team and other aquatic program participants’ safety and wellbeing.
• Assist Head Swim Coach in determining senior competition and practice schedules.
• Assist Head Swim Coach in developing training group guidelines for senior program.
• Assist Head Swim Coach with implementation of all senior program goals and curriculum.
• Assist the Head Swim Coach in overseeing meet registration process for senior swimmers.
• Adequate coaching and/or swimming experience. Inexperienced coaches with good
character references are encouraged to apply.
• Membership in good standing of USA Swimming and certifications in AED, CPR, First Aid
and Lifeguard Training.
• Must be able to have a Washington State drivers license within 6 months of starting.
• Must be able to travel to meets.
• Must be able to work irregular work hours, with some weeks working in excess of a 40-
• Must have visual and auditory ability to respond to critical situations and physical ability to
act swiftly in an emergency
• Must be organized, observant of deadlines, and have excellent communication skills with
supervisor, parents and students
All qualified persons will be considered for employment without regard to age,
color, national origin, citizenship status, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital
status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other
characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
How to Apply
Interested candidates please send resume and references to Dane Wolfrom at [email protected]