Applications due 03/16/18
Edmonton Keyano Swim Club, based in Edmonton, Alberta; wishes to announce an exciting opportunity for a talented, charismatic and high-level candidate to join our Club as our Head Coach.
We have a strong tradition of excellence in swimming and an aspirational vision for our future. The successful candidate will be instrumental in shaping, leading and delivering our vision – building on our strong heritage and reputation – to significantly grow our Club from one of the larger swimming clubs in Alberta, to one of the largest and most successful across Canada.
We need a candidate who is willing to commit to our Club for the long term, and who will:
- Foster a passion for competitive swimming in all our athletes, emphasising the joy of training hard, competing at a high level, and achieving to their talent level.
- Develop and deliver a professional and quality-driven technical competitive swimming programme with demonstrable performance success across all levels, including University and beyond;
- Harness the talents and capabilities of our coaching staff through a structured programme of coaching development and on-deck training; and,
- Develop high quality athletes able to compete at national and international levels and who aspire to achieve.
Managing our entire competitive technical swimming programme, and work in collaboration with our General Manager who will concentrate on the Club administration and office management; you will champion and build athlete pathways across the full continuum, delivering top performance in both athletes and our coaches. It is an exciting, rewarding and long term opportunity for the right candidate who demonstrates:
- Proven experience working in a high-performance sport environment;
- Demonstrated history to mentor and provide leadership to both coaches and athletes;
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment, a proven self-starter and an effective communicator;
- Strong collaboration and influencing skills;
- Highly effective planning and organization skills, takes a long term perspective, both seeking and creating opportunities;
- Proven experience in managing the technical swimming programme and coaching programme of a high performing Club;
- Is ambitious, aspiring, excited about new challenges and relishes new opportunities; and,
- Is a charismatic leader who can lead coaches, athletes, and parents towards a common and compelling vision.
As the Head Coach, you will be directly responsible for:
- Being instrumental in leading Edmonton Keyano towards achieving its vision of being recognised and respected as a leader in Canadian swimming through competitive and operational success.
- Recruit, develop and lead the Keyano Club coaching staff. This includes overall responsibility for a coaching team of approximately 5 senior coaches and 16 assistant coaches, across multiple satellite locations around Edmonton. Mentoring other coaches and providing coaching development is a high priority and will be a key area of activity.
- Accountable for the entire technical swimming programme within Edmonton Keyano; ensuring their alignment and progress towards delivering top performance swimming capabilities across all age groups. To set the standards and performance levels which will then need to be performance managed and monitored across all levels in the Club, including University and beyond.
- Directly coach and be accountable for swimmers in the highest level groups within the Club, consistently showing leadership and innovation in developing an elite technical programme.
- Develop a high performance capability within the Club with the aspiration that athletes in the programme are reaching progressive benchmarks that lead to achieving the standards required for selection into Canadian National and Olympic level teams.
- Production of a technical strategic swimming plan, updated on an annual basis complete with measurable and reportable performance outcomes. This should be presented to the EKSC Board and their agreement obtained annually.
- The Head Coach will provide guidance and leadership to strategic initiatives of EKSC and work collaboratively with the EKSC Board in creating/refining the EKSC strategic plan on an annual basis, identifying areas for improvement in the plan to bring forward to annual strategic planning review sessions.
- To work collaboratively alongside the General Manager – who will manage all ‘dry’ activities within the Club, i.e. administration and office management, accounting, payroll, contract management for Club operations, pool space allocations, team travel, events planning, communications to Members, etc.
- Working collaboratively with the General Manager in developing a grass roots capability and strong platform of swimming competency. To work together alongside other staff and volunteers in attracting, developing and retaining swimmers in EKSC.
- Plan and deliver the annual/seasonal training and competition programs for all training groups, and work collaboratively with the General Manager in defining and working within the agreed financial budget. This includes regular audits of these programs at all locations and performance improvement updates to members, parents and the Board.
- Proactive and visible engagement with swimmers and parents across all levels and squads within the Club during each 12-month period; demonstrating the Keyano values and the expectations for athletes.
- Be the visible face of the coaching staff, actively engaging with all internal and external stakeholders – members, parents, volunteers, provincial/national governing bodies and other swim clubs, fostering effective communication, education and support for each athlete, their coach and family.
- In conjunction with Swim Alberta, lead and shape opportunities for improving provincial and national level swimming programmes.
- Attending all Keyano hosted swimming competitions, Provincials and National and International level competitions.
As the Head Coach, you should have the following experience, education and qualifications:
- 10+ years managing and leading large diverse teams;
- Level 3 coaching certification, NCCP or equivalent;
- Previous head coaching experience preferred; and/or involvement at a national/international level of competition;
- Previous elite swim coaching experience;
- Evidence of personalised self-development undertaken to advance coaching career.
As the Head Coach, you should demonstrate the following leadership competencies:
- Strategic orientation. He/she will take a long term perspective, have a clear view of the future direction for the Club and enable the leadership team to deliver. He/she frames strategic options for the club, welcomes creative and innovative solutions, and is not afraid of considering ambitious, and unorthodox ideas. He/she is able to spot previously unidentified opportunities and bring creative solutions for balancing finite resources.
- Influence with Impact. He/she will be able to influence the team to achieve strategic outcomes. Actively develops internal and external partnerships/relationships on a foundation of credibility and trust. Uses appropriate interpersonal styles and communication methods to influence, motivate, and develop mutually beneficial relationships and outcomes.
- Results orientation. He/she will deliver over expectations by being energized by the challenge and setting stretching goals for self and the team. He/she will exploit opportunities to exceed goals and work towards them even under adverse circumstances.
- Team leadership. He/she will empower the teams to perform, identify and solve problems, providing necessary support where He/she creates a clear sense of team identity and holds teams and coaches accountable for meeting collective goals. He/she rewards individual initiatives beyond expectations to advance the common goal. Strong at decision-making and setting clear direction. Is a charismatic leader and will inspire others.
- Collaboration and engagement skills. He/she motivates others to work with self by using informal structures, dynamics and culture of the organization to get things done. He/she actively seeks input in decision making and shows others how their objectives align with own. He/she actively communicates and collaborates with the broader organisation and Partner organisations, ensuring enduring committed partnerships. Demonstrates proactive engagement and seeks out opportunities to influence and collaborate for the benefit of the Club and its’ athletes.
- Financial management. Strong and productive collaboration between this role and the General Manager in establishing annual/seasonal financial budgets; to determine the long term financial forecasts for the Club and to reflect these within the strategic plan. To actively manage and monitor progress against spend, seek opportunities for driving efficiencies, and also investments for maximising athlete and coaches’ development.
As the Head Coach, success in the role will be managed through the following metrics:
- Club ranking position in Canada;
- Club reputation;
- Member satisfaction;
- Athlete performance delivery against the plan set for each level;
- Coaches development and skill improvements; and,
- Performance achievements of National/International level athletes in the Club.
Progress towards mutually agreed targets will be evaluated on at least a bi-annual basis.
We are committed to diversity at EKSC, to building and sustaining a diverse and inclusive workforce and as an equal opportunity employer we encourage applications from all qualified individuals. EKSC does not discriminate against applicants based on genders, races, national and ethnic origins, religions, ages, sexual orientation, marital and family status, and/or mental or physical disabilities.
Competitive salary and benefits package will be commensurate with qualifications and experience, and on a par with the top coaches and highest level Swimming Clubs across Canada.
The Head Coach will report to the President of Edmonton Keyano; and be accountable to the Edmonton Keyano Board of Directors.
How to Apply
Deadline for applications for the Head Coach role: Friday 16 March, 2018. (12.00pm MST).
To apply, please submit a cover letter stating:
- why you believe you are suitable for the Head Coach role at Edmonton Keyano;
- how you will add value to our Club and performance of our athletes, and why we should select you for the position; and,
- details of your current coaching role/assignment and current remuneration package.
Also include a resume, proof of certification and at least two work-related references and one personal reference; and send them to:
Edmonton Keyano Search & Selection Committee
c/o Clare Hickson, Edmonton Keyano Swimming Club
Email: [email protected]
The Search & Selection Committee reserves the right to exercise due diligence and call upon additional references to supplement those provided by the applicant. While we thank all applicants for their interest only those selected for an interview will be contacted, beyond receiving acknowledgement of receipt of your application.