Location: New York, NY, USA
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The Prospect Park YMCA is seeking for an experienced individual who will provide direction and leadership to the Aquatics department. The Aquatics Director will follow all YMCA of Greater New York and Department of Health aquatics standards to maintain safety for all aquatics programs in and around the swim area, and will lead by example to promote and demonstrate professional demeanor to aquatics staff.
- Recruit, train, supervise, and evaluate all aquatic staff.
- Conduct in-service training as required by the YMCA association.
- Develop, implement, track, and control the department budget, in accordance with Branch and Association budget
- Review program schedules, capacity staffing and revenues to meet the community needs and YMCA mission.
- Maintain proper health and safety standards, in accordance with Association aquatics safety standards and guidelines.
- Know and understand all YMCA, state and local health and safety requirements, including Pool Safety Plan, Emergency Action Plan, Emergency Evacuation Routes and staff certifications.
- Collaborate and build relationships within the YMCA Branch, Association and community organizations, in accordance with strategic and operating plans.
- Maintain positive relations with participants, parents, members and staff.
- Serve as a role model to promote and demonstrate professional demeanor.
- Maintain all records, in accordance with law for pool maintenance, staff training and certifications, program member attendance and evaluation of participant skills, and Department of Health (DOH) requirements.
- Maintain certification level of physical and mental readiness.
- Responsible for recertification before expiration.
- Actively participate in training sessions, designated meetings and special events.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Minimum of three to five years of commensurate experience in a supervisory/management position.
- YMCA or Red Cross Lifeguard certification or equivalent. Must obtain YMCA Lifeguard certification within 90 days of hire.
- YMCA Swim Lesson Instructor certification or equivalent. Must obtain YMCA Swim Lesson Instructor certification within 120 days of hire.
- Current CPRO, Emergency Oxygen and First Aid certifications.
- Demonstrate swim strokes, lifeguard rescues and CPRO/FA/EO skills.
- Must be willing to work flexible hours, including weekends and holidays.
How to Apply
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity. If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please forward your cover letter and resume with subject line “Aquatics Director” to [email protected] or to:
Prospect Park YMCA
Attn.: Emecheta Isles
357 Ninth Street
Brooklyn, NY 11215
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities
New York City’s YMCA | WHERE THERE’S A Y, THERE’S A WAY