2021 INTERNATIONAL SWIMMING LEAGUE – SEASON 3, MATCH 2
- Saturday, August 28 – Sunday, August 29
- 12:00 pm – 2:00 pm EST (6:00 pm – 8:00 pm Local Time)
- Piscina Felice Scandone, Naples, Italy
- Short Course Meters (25m – SCM) Format
- ISL Season 3 Schedules, Start Times, and More
- Teams Competing: Cali Condors, LA Current, Tokyo Frog Kings, New York Breakers
- Omega Live Results
- Match 2 Preview
- Day 1 Start Lists
Coleman Stewart broke the American Record leading off the Cali Condors 4 x 100 medley relay on Saturday in the second match of the 2021 season of the International Swimming League.
Stewart posted a 48.91 to shave 0.01 from Matt Grevers‘ 2015 American Record, set at the Duel in the Pool in Indianapolis. In 2015, Grevers time of48.92 was a World Record, though it has since been lowered on three occasions, first by Kliment Kolesnikov in 2017, then by Xu Jiayu in 2018, and again by Kolesnikov in 2020 at the season 2 ISL Final.
Stewart split 23.94 and 24.97 in his effort Saturday. Stewart will (presumably) swim the 100 backstroke individually on day 2 of the meet.
|Stewart 2021||Grevers 2015|
Stewart’s swim makes him the 4th-fastest all-time in the 100 SCM backstroke, behind Kolesnikov, Jiayu, and double Olympic backstroke champion Evgeny Rylov. Stewart is also now just the 8th man to ever swim under 49 seconds in the race.
- Kliment Kolesnikov, RUS (2021) — 48.58
- Xu Jiayu, CHN (2018)/Evgeny Rylov, RUS (2020) — 48.88
- Coleman Stewart, USA (2021) — 48.91
- Matt Grevers, USA (2015) — 48.92
- Nick Thoman, USA (2009) — 48.94
- Stanislav Donets, RUS (2010) — 48.95
- Arkady Vyatchanin, RUS (2009) — 48.97
- Mitch Larkin, AUS (2015) — 49.04
Earlier in the session, Stewart swam a 22.61 to win the men’s 50 backstroke by more than half-a-second. Stewart’s 50 backstroke did not quite match Ryan Murphy‘s American Record of 22.54 from the 2020 ISL Final, though he ties Peter Marshall for 2nd-fastest American all-time. Previously, Stewart was the 3rd-fastest American all-time in the 50 backstroke with a 22.76 from the 2020 ISL Final.
Stewart has been close to the American Record in the short course yards version of the race as well, and owns 5 of the 10 fastest times in history in that version of the race.
Man I really hope this grinds Ryan Murphy’s gears
It’s the summer club record!
Murphy gonna accuse him of being on the juice
Legend has it, after the race, Stewart dm’d Murphy and called him a b***h
Murphy responded with a picture of his Olympics medals
Or a video rant talking about how Coleman wasn’t clean.
13 thoughts going through his head
Murphy still holds a world record, in long course.
Theory: Coleman Stewart’s mustache is the reincarnation of Dean Farris’s former short course prowess
Wait a minute is Coleman tapered? Seems a bit fast to literally start the season off with an American record but if not wow Especially with a stache.
Stewart’s improvement curve since high school is absurd.