2021 NCAA MEN’S SWIMMING & DIVING CHAMPIONSHIPS
- When: Wednesday, March 24 – Saturday, March 27, 2021
- Where: Greensboro Aquatic Center / Greensboro, NC (Eastern Time Zone)
- Prelims 10 AM/ Finals 6 PM (Local Time)
- Short course yards (SCY) format
- Defending champion: Cal (1x) – 2019 results
- Championship Central
- Psych Sheets
- Live Results
Reported by Nick Pecoraro.
1650 FREE – TIMED FINALS
- NCAA Record: 14:12.08, Bobby Finke (Florida) – 2020
- American Record: 14:12.08, Bobby Finke (Florida) – 2020
- U.S. Open Record: 14:12.08, Bobby Finke (Florida) – 2020
Meet Record: 14:22.41, Clark Smith (Texas) – 2017 Pool Record: 14:23.52, Connor Jaeger (Club Wolverine) – 2014
- 2019 Champion: Felix Auboeck (Michigan), 14:23.09
- 2020 Top Performer: Bobby Finke (Florida), 14:12.08
- Bobby Finke (Florida)- 14:12.52 *Meet/Pool Record
- Jake Magahey (Georgia)- 14:28.69
- Ross Dant (NC State)- 14:31.17
After the 250-yard mark, no one could match Bobby Finke‘s pace during the fastest heat of the 1650 free. The question was not if Finke would win the title, but if he could break his 14:12.08 records from the 2020 SEC Championship final. At the touch, the title was Finke’s, touching in at 14:12.52. This is now Finke’s third 14:12 performance and the third-fastest swim in history.
Picking up second place for the Bulldogs was Jake Magahey, hitting 14:28.69. Moving up to third place was NC State sophmore Ross Dant, whose time of 14:31.17 makes him the 15th-fastest American in history.
Out of heat four, Arizona’s Brooks Fail dropped 13 seconds from his seed time to place fourth overall at 14:31.48, just 0.31s behind Dant. That also mints an Arizona program record. Rounding out the top six times were Notre Dame’s Jack Hoagland (14:33.93) and former ND teammate Zach Yeadon of Cal (14:36.06).