2021 ATLANTA CLASSIC
- May 14-16, 2021
- McAuley Aquatic Center @ Georgia Tech
- Atlanta, GA
- Hosted by SwimAtlanta
- LCM Format (50m)
- Top 40 Finals: A, B, C, D (18&U)
- Meet Site
- Meet Packet
- Psych Sheets
- Wave I & II Olympic Trials Cuts
- FINA Olympic Qualifying Standards
After hitting 4:21.68 in the 400 IM to rank 10th in the US this season, 36-year-old Olympian Ryan Lochte has favored the 200 free C-final after posting 1:52.88 during this morning’s prelims session. Lochte’s season best sits at 1:50.27, which ranks 30th in the US this season. His season best is also 0.62s off the Wave II Trials cut of 1:49.65.
No. 10 seed Andrew Abruzzo of UGA also dropped the IM race after posting 4:27.79 this morning. Instead, Abruzzo will contest in the 200 free B-final with his 1:51.21 seed. Leading the men’s 200 free will be Florida’s Kieran Smith with his US No. 1 time of 1:46.30.
Preferring the 400 IM A-final is Florida’s Grant Sanders, who swam 4:23.33 to land the third seed after Lochte’s scratch. Sanders is a mere 0.09s off the Wave II cut of 4:23.24. Earlier in the prelims session, Sanders swam 1:52.00 to place 17th overall in the 200 free, well off the Wave I cut.
Another top-10 scratch was Florida’s Kathleen Golding, dropping her No. 7 seed of 2:01.80 in the 200 free in favor of the 400 IM. This morning, Golding swam 4:49.66 to place 4th overall in prelims, which is 1.94s off the Wave II cut of 4:47.72. Leading the women’s IM race is 18-year-old Summer Smith and her lifetime best of 4:43.43.
Night One Top-20 Scratches:
- Women’s 200 Free: #7 Kathleen Golding
- Men’s 200 Free: #17 Grant Sanders
- Women’s 100 Breast: #16 Bailey Bonnett
- Men’s 100 Breast: –
- Women’s 100 Fly: #15 Avery Bargeron
- Men’s 100 Fly: –
- Women’s 400 IM: –
- Men’s 400 IM: #3 Ryan Lochte, #10 Andrew Abruzzo, #13 Daniel Gallagher, #14 Will Scholtz, #15 Seth Maschmeier