2019 FINA WORLD AQUATICS CHAMPIONSHIPS
- All sports: Friday, July 12 – Sunday, July 28, 2019
- Pool swimming: Sunday, July 21 – Sunday, July 28, 2019
- The Nambu University Municipal Aquatics Center, Gwangju, Korea
- Meet site
- Competition Schedule
- FinaTV Live Stream
- Entry Lists
We are now in the thick of the 2019 World Championships, and to make sure you’re up to speed with all the action, we’re giving you a video recap of what we think of the racing. This is Pancake Hot Take, where we rate the overall racing of every Finals Session on a scale of 1-5 pancakes, and give you our highlights from each night.
While Day 2 saw 2 championship records go down, I’m basing ratings solely off of times posted and how they compare to world records. Therefore, I give Day 2 of finals…
- Race of the Day: Women’s 200 IM, it’s all about redemption. Katinka Hosszu wins 4 in a row after having a rocky summer last year, Yi Shiwen wins her first major medal since 2012, and Sydney Pickrem medals in the 2IM after exiting the pool after the butterfly leg in 2017
- Surprise of the Day: Maggie Macneil taking down Sarah Sjostrom in the women’s 100 fly, posting a 55.83 to make her the 2nd fastest performer all-time
- Bummer of the Day: Men’s 200 free. Having only 1 male under 1:45 heading into the final is tough to see, and doesn’t give me hope that we’re getting closer to that 1:42.00 WR
- Syrup on Top: Caeleb Dressel posting the 2nd fastest performance ever in the 50 fly (22.35) and making his medal count 2-for-2 golds, meaning he can still potentially win 9 overall at this meet
Stay tuned for Pancake Hot Takes every day after finals. And until then… stay hungry.