2018 PAC-12 WOMEN’S SWIMMING & DIVING CHAMPIONSHIPS
- Wednesday, February 21 – Saturday, February 24
- Federal Way, WA (Pacific Time Zone)
- Defending Champion: Stanford (1x) (results)
- Live Results
- Live Video
- Championship Central
- NCAA Qualifying
The first preliminary session of the 2018 Women’s Pac-12 Championships will go off this morning, with heats scheduled in the 500 free, 200 IM and 50 free. Cal got off to a great start yesterday, narrowly missing the NCAA record in the 200 medley relay before upsetting Stanford for the title in the 800 free relay.
Stanford has a strong lineup on day 2. Katie Ledecky shouldn’t have a problem defending her 500 free title, while Ella Eastin will surprisingly not defend her 200 IM crown, instead opting for the 500 free. That makes last year’s NCAA champ Kathleen Baker of Cal the big favorite. Among others, Simone Manuel will be challenged by Golden Bear Abbey Weitzeil as she looks to defend in the 50 free.
500 Free Prelims
- Pac-12 Meet Record: 4:25.15, Katie Ledecky (STAN), 2017
- Katie Ledecky, STAN, 4:35.90
- Lauren Pitzer, STAN, 4:39.69
- Kirsten Jacobsen, UA, 4:39.98
- Ella Eastin, STAN, 4:40.30
- Megan Byrnes, STAN, 4:41.06
- Robin Neumann, CAL, 4:41.18
- Chenoa Devine, CAL, 4:42.30
- Erin Voss, STAN, 4:42.84
Katie Ledecky cruised to the win in the final heat of the 500 free, qualifying 1st overall in a time of 4:35.90. Her teammate Lauren Pitzer (4:39.69) took 2nd overall with a win in heat 6, while Arizona’s Kirsten Jacobsen (4:39.98) joined them under 4:40 with the heat 5 victory.
A third Cardinal, Megan Byrnes, dropped over eight and a half seconds off her seed to qualify 5th from one of the early heats in 4:41.06, and Ella Eastin (4:40.30) and Erin Voss (4:42.84) give Stanford five of tonight’s A-finalists.
200 IM Prelims
- Pac-12 Meet Record: 1:52.26, Katinka Hosszu (USC), 2012
- Kathleen Baker, CAL, 1:54.16
- Katie Drabot, STAN, 1:55.64
- Sarah Darcel, CAL, 1:55.98
- Ally Howe, STAN, 1:56.00
- Emma Schanz, UCLA, 1:56.06
- Brooke Forde, STAN, 1:56.30
- Kim Williams, STAN, 1:56.54
- Keaton Blovad, CAL, 1:56.86
Kathleen Baker of Cal asserted herself as the woman to beat in the 200 IM, posting the top time of the morning in 1:54.16. Since Ella Eastin has decided to race the 500 free instead, this race is hers for the taking.
After putting five into the A-final of the 500 free, Stanford didn’t slow down here with four women advancing through. Katie Drabot was a swift 1:55.64 for 2nd, while Ally Howe (1:56.00), Brooke Forde (1:56.30) and Kim Williams (1:56.54) qualified 4th, 6th and 7th.
Joining Baker in the final will be teammates Sarah Darcel (1:55.98) and Keaton Blovad (1:56.86) qualifying 3rd and 8th overall respectively. UCLA’s Emma Schanz is the lone swimmer in the A-final not from Stanford or Cal, 5th in 1:56.06.
USC’s Louise Hansson swam a time of 1:55.53, but it appears it was an exhibition swim, leaving her out of the final.
50 Free Prelims
- Pac-12 Meet Record: 21.29, Simone Manuel (STAN), 2017
- Abbey Weitzeil, CAL, 21.64
- Simone Manuel, STAN, 21.67
- Janet Hu, STAN, 22.08
- Amy Bilquist, CAL / Marta Ciesla, USC, 22.09
- Maddie Murphy, CAL, 22.30
- Katrina Konopka, UA, 22.36
- Jamie Stone, UA, 22.40
Janet Hu of Stanford sits 3rd in 22.08, with Cal’s Amy Bilquist and USC’s Marta Ciesla tied for 4th in 22.09. Maddie Murphy joins fellow Bears Weitzeil and Bilquist in the A-final in 6th, and Wildcats Katrina Konopka (22.36) and Jamie Stone (22.40) round out the A-finalists.