Pop-Tarts have been a beloved breakfast and snack food for generations, but have you ever thought that you could make your own at home? I know … I didn’t either. Homemade pop-tarts are not only fun to make, but they taste even better than the store-bought kind. Plus, you can customize them with your favorite flavors.
The classic strawberry pop-tart is my favorite! I couldn’t resist the sweet and fruity flavor with a hint of tartness. In this recipe, this is the flavor I created. The filling is made with real strawberries and has a bright, red color.
By making pop-Tarts at home, you avoid the preservatives and additives often found in store-bought versions. Many processed foods, including pop-tarts, contain high levels of added sugars, sodium, and unhealthy fats. By making them at home, you can avoid these harmful ingredients and have a healthier treat!
For my filling, I used homemade strawberry jam. What makes this recipe exciting is you get to be creative with the ingredients and flavors you use. You could make brown sugar, blueberry, raspberry, cherry, Nutella… all of the above! Have fun with it.
If you’re looking for an on-the-go breakfast option or just a fun treat to make, here is a simple recipe for homemade pop-tarts that you can make in your own kitchen:
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup of cold water
- ½ cup of strawberry jam or filling of choice
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar and salt.
- Add the butter to the bowl and use your hands to mix the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse sand.
- Divide the dough in half and shape each half into a rectangle. Wrap each rectangle in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit (190 C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll out one rectangle of dough on a floured surface until it is about 1/8 inch thick.
- Use a sharp knife or pastry cutter to cut the dough into rectangles, about 3×4 inches in size.
- Spoon about 2 tablespoons of fruit jam or filling onto each rectangle of dough, leaving a small border around the edges.
- Roll out the rectangle of dough and cut it into rectangles to match the first set.
- Place the second set of rectangles on top of the filled ones and press the edges with a fork to seal them.
- Use a knife to poke holes on the top of each pastry to allow steam to escape.
- Whisk together the beaten egg and water to make egg wash and brush it onto the tops of each pop-tart.
- Bake the pop-tarts for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Once done baking, let the pop-tarts cool for a few minutes before serving.
You can store these pop-tarts in an airtight container for up to a week in the fridge or freeze them for up to a month. As always, if you decide to give this recipe a try, please tag me @rubyfaye99! I would love to see your end result and what you think!