Ruby was born in Newton, Iowa, but spent her childhood in Coralville, Iowa. She has three siblings: an older brother, Oliver, a 4-star collegiate football player at the University of Nebraska; a younger sister, Scarlet, who is committed to swim at the University of Iowa; and, last but not least, her youngest brother Finn, the definition of versatile in sports.
Ruby’s love of the water all started in her grandma’s pool. When she was young, most summer days were spent in the pool, kicking underwater from one end to the other. Holding her breath was a natural talent and she started competitive swimming at seven years old and specialized in butterfly.
Throughout her high school years, Ruby:
- Broke numerous Iowa state records.
- Awarded 15 ‘Iowa swimmer of the year’ plaques.
- Traveled the country to race the country’s fastest athletes.
- Was a NCSA International champion in the 200 IM / 400 IM.
- Swam to the 2017 Winter National Junior title in the 200 butterfly.
- Won the 200 butterfly at the 2017 U.S. Open.
- 2-time U.S. Olympic Trial qualifier.
- 2016 Olympic Trial Finalist in the 200 M butterfly (4th).
- 2016 Junior Pan Pacific team member.
- 3-time National Junior Team Member.
- 3-time PAC12 Finalist in the 200 butterfly.
Ruby’s swimming success gave her the opportunity to continue her athletic and academic career at Arizona State University. She is a newly minted Sun Devil swimming alum and will be graduating in May 2022 with a Bachelor of Arts degree, majoring in Health Sciences and minoring in Nutrition and Healthy Living.
Beyond swimming, school, and family, Ruby is an avid foodie with a passion for sharing healthy habits with people around her.
Social Media Platforms
Main Instagram: @martin_ruby
Foodie Instagram: @rubyfaye99