This week on the SwimSwam Breakdown, we discuss the 2022 World Champs getting postponed, Katie Ledecky beating Zane Grothe in an exhibition 500 free, and Gretchen Walsh setting a new American record in the 50-yard backstroke. See full list of topics below:
- FINA has postponed the 2022 World Championships in Fukuoka, Japan, meaning there will be no Long Course World Championship meet in 2022.
- Katie Ledecky, Caeleb Dressel, Natalie Hinds, and Zane Grothe were among the post-grads that raced at the UF-Auburn dual meet. We have race video of a 200 free heat, as well as a tweet from Grothe saying he lost to Ledecky in the 500 free.
- Gretchen Walsh highlighted the UVA-NC State dual, where she broke the American record in the 50 back (23.04)
- Rye Ulett has graduated high school early and is already racing at Louisville AND broke the school record in the 200 back with a 1:53.2
- Michael Andrew was back in action at a local meet in Coronado, swimming the 400 IM, 200 fly, and 100 breast
- Thomas Heilman broke ANOTHER 13-14 NAG, this time in the 400 IM with a 3:51.46
- Holly Barratt, who hasn’t been home to Perth since August, won an event at the South Aussie Championships
- We saw multiple impressive swims in Japan at the Kosuke Kitajima Cup
SINK or SWIM
- David Marsh is stepping in as an assistant for the Cal men – can he help them recapture an NCAA title?
- Matt Sates IS in Georgia – Will his first semester be as impressive as his World Cup performances?
- Ruta Meilutyte is at Lithuanian training camp – Will she compete internationally this summer?
- Claire Curzan is .6 Off of Regan Smith‘s 17-18 100 back NAG – Will she break it before June of 2023 when she turns 19?