2017 RUSSIAN CHAMPIONSHIPS
- Monday, April 10 – Friday, April 14, 2017
- Moscow, Russia
- Live results
On day 5 of the 2017 Russian National Championships, sprint star Vlad Morozov took down the Russian National Record in the 50 free. In the semifinals at the beginning of the session, Morozov blasted a 21.44 to clear the former record of 21.47, while Evgeny Sedov nabbed a World Championships qualifying time of 22.01 to take 2nd seed.
While he put up the fastest time of the day, Morozov wasn’t able to replicate it in the final at the end of the session. Sedov had the upper hand in the final, busting out a 21.74 to win gold ahead of Morozov’s 21.76.
A competitive men’s 100 breast field saw 8 swimmers hit the qualifying standard, but only the top 2 will make it to Worlds. Vsevolod Zanko had the lightning-fast touch, winning the race in 59.66. Behind him, Kirill Prigoda (59.71) out-touched Ilya Khomenko (59.76) by 5 hundredths for 2nd place. Just a tenth back was Anton Chupkov, who held his seed with a 59.86 for 4th.
On the women’s side, Olympic medalist Yuliya Efimova made her way to the top of the world rankings in the 100 breast. Efimova clocked in at 1:05.90, giving her a sweep of the breaststroke golds at this meet. With that, she moves up to #1 in the world ahead of Sweden’s Jennie Johansson (1:06.30).
Day 4 Event Winners:
- Men’s 400 IM- Alexander Osipenko, 4:16.88
- Women’s 100 Back- Egorova Polina, 1:00.21
- Men’s 100 Breast- Vsevolod Zanko, 59.66
- Women’s 100 Breast- Yuliya Efimova, 1:05.90
- Men’s 200 Free- Mikhail Dovgalyuk, 1:46.89
- Women’s 200 IM- Victoria Andreeva, 2:11.75
- Men’s 100 Fly- Kuimov Egor, 51.97
- Women’s 50 Fly- Svetlana Chimrova, 26.02
- Men’s 50 Free- Evgeny Sedov, 21.74
Russia will use this meet to select its World Championships team, among several other major meets. From our translation of the selection procedures, it appears Russia will select the top 2 swimmers in each event who hit their qualifying standards. Qualifying standards are at the bottom of the selection procedures document here, in its original Russian.
Qualifying Swimmers for World Champs:
- Aleksandr Krasnykh, 400 free
- Oleg Kostin, 50 fly
- Yulia Efimova, 50 breast/100 breast/200 breast
- Anton Chupkov, 200 breast
- Ilya Khomenko, 200 breast
- Evgeny Rylov, 50 back/100 back/200 back
- Veronika Popova, 200 free/400 free
- Daria Ustinova, 200 back
- Vlad Morozov, 50 free/100 free
- Danila Izotov, 100 free
- Svetlana Chimrova, 100 fly
- Anastasia Zueva, 50 back
- Vsevolod Zanko, 50 breast/100 breast
- Kirill Prigoda, 50 breast/100 breast
- Polina Egorova, 100 back
- Grigory Tarasevich, 50 back
- Evgeny Sedov, 50 free