2017 RUSSIAN CHAMPIONSHIPS
- Monday, April 10 – Friday, April 14, 2017
- Moscow, Russia
- Live results
On day 3 of the 2017 Russian National Championships, Danila Izotov and Svetlana Chimrova dipped under Russia’s qualifying standards for the 2017 World Championships. Izotov went head-to-head with Vlad Morozov in the 100 free. They battled within tenths of each other throughout the race, but Morozov had the advantage thanks to his front half speed. At the finish, Morozov won gold in 48.28, while Izotov put up a 48.53 for silver. The Russian qualifying mark in the event is a 48.55.
Chimrova, on the other hand, hit the standard in the 100 fly. After narrowly missing the mark in the 200 fly yesterday, she threw down a 57.42 to lead today’s semifinals. That lowered her own Russian National Record by over 3 tenths, as it previously stood at a 57.79 from the 2016 Russian Championships.
Anastasia Zueva and Vsevolod Zanko hit the mark in their respective stroke 50s. Zanko won a tight race in the 50 breast, as he posted a 27.20 to out-touch Kirill Prigoda (27.28). Prigoda just missed the mark by 4 hundredths of a second, but was under the mark with his 27.12 in the semifinals. Zueva, on the other hand, was the lone woman under 28 in the 50 back, touching in 27.93 to meet the qualifying standard.
Breaststroker Yuliya Efimova further cemented her #1 ranking in the 200 breast. After putting up a world-leading 2:23.17 earlier in the season, she dropped her season best down to a 2:21.35 in tonight’s finals. Silver medalist Maria Temnikova put up the 6th fastest time in the world this year, touching in 2:24.80 for 2nd place.
Day 3 Event Winners:
- Men’s 200 Fly- Daniil Pakhomov, 1:56.30
- Women’s 200 Breast- Yuliya Efimova, 2:21.35
- Men’s 100 Free- Vlad Morozov, 48.28
- Men’s 200 IM- Aleksandr Osipenko, 2:00.89
- Women’s 50 Back- Anastasia Zueva, 27.93
- Men’s 50 Breast- Vsevolod Zanko, 27.20
Day 3 Semifinal Leaders:
- Women’s 200 Free- Veronika Popova, 1:57.72
- Men’s 200 Back- Andrey Shabasov, 1:59.88
- Women’s 100 Fly- Svetlana Chimrova, 57.42
Russia will use this meet to select its World Championships team, among several other major meets. From our translation of the selection procedures, it appears Russia will select the top 2 swimmers in each event who hit their qualifying standards. Qualifying standards are at the bottom of the selection procedures document here, in its original Russian.
Qualifying Swimmers for World Champs:
- Aleksandr Krasnykh, 400 free
- Oleg Kostin, 50 fly
- Yulia Efimova, 50 breast/200 breast
- Anton Chupkov, 200 breast
- Ilya Khomenko, 200 breast
- Evgeny Rylov, 100 back
- Veronika Popova, 400 free
- Daria Ustinova, 200 back
- Vlad Morozov, 100 free
- Danila Izotov, 100 free
- Svetlana Chimrova, 100 fly
- Anastasia Zueva, 50 back
- Vsevolod Zanko, 50 breast
- Kirill Prigoda, 50 breast