58TH SETTECOLLI TROPHY
- Friday, June 25th – Sunday, June 27th
- Swimming Stadium of the Foro Italico, Rome, Italy
- LCM (50m)
- Olympic Qualifying Competition
- Start Lists
During the first day of racing at the 2021 Settecolli Trophy Nicolo Martinenghi downed his own Italian record in the 100 breaststroke with a 58.29. That swim was 0.08 seconds quicker than his former mark in the event of 58.37 which he set earlier this year to win the event at the 2021 Italian Championships in Riccione.
|2021 Settecolli||2021 Italian Nationals|
|100||58.29 (30.62)||58.37 (31.09)|
That swim for Martinenghi was his 6th time ever under the 59-second mark in the event and his 5th time this season. He first swam in the 58 range back in December 2019 at the Italian Open Long Course Championships.
Nicolo Martinenghi Top Long Course 100 Breaststrokes
- 58.29 – 2021 Settecolli Trophy
- 58.37 – 2021 Italian National Championships
- 58.45 – 2021 European Championships
- 58.75 – 2019 Italian Open Long Course Championships
- 58.88 – 2021 European Championships
- 58.94 – 2021 European Championships
- 59.01 – 2017 World Junior Swimming Championships / 2021 Italian National Championships
Along with a new PB and Italian record, the swim for Martinenghi is the 4th fastest swim in the world this year. The swim actually didn’t change his ranking as he already sat in 4th with a 58.37 he swam a few months ago. He trails world record holder Adam Peaty (57.39), Arno Kamminga (57.90), and Michael Andrew (58.14), all of whom will be swimming the event this summer in Tokyo.
Not only does his swim make him the 4th fastest swimmer in the world this season, but Martinenghi is now tied with Belarus’s Ilya Shymanovich as the 4th fastest swimmer in history. The 100 breaststroke is bound to be one of the most exciting events in Tokyo as 3 of the top 5 times in history have been delivered this year. Additionally, 6 of the 8 fastest men in history are expected to race the event at the Olympics this summer in the form of Peaty, Kamminga, Andrew, Shymanovich, Martinenghi, and James Wilby.
All-time Men’s Long Course 100 Breaststroke Rankings
- Adam Peaty – 56.88 (2019)
- Arno Kamminga – 57.90 (2021)
- Michael Andrew – 58.14 (2021)
- Ilya Shymanovich / Nicolo Martinenghi – 58.29 (2019 / 2021)
- James Wilby / Cameron van der Burgh – 58.46 (2019 / 2012)
- Nic Fink – 58.50 (2021)
Martinenghiu’s 58.29 swim was quick enough to out-touch #2 ranked swimmer in history Arno Kamminga who was just 0.20 seconds slower with a 58.40. Italy’s Federico Poggio rounded out the podium with a 59.39.