Applications due 06/24/17
The Head Swim Coach (Head Coach) position is a full-time, year-round position based in Decatur, IL. The Head Coach will be expected to coach a minimum of five practices weekly and dedicate approximately 12 to 16 hours monthly toward administrative duties. The Head Coach reports directly to the Board of Directors.
A key leader of our team, the Head Coach should be an experienced coach and swimmer. The Head Coach serves as a motivational figure who inspires high morale, encourages recruitment of new members, builds team cohesiveness, communicates effectively and provides positive reinforcement.
About Decatur Swim Club
The Decatur Swim Club (DSC) is a USA Swimming team. We welcome swimmers of all abilities, from recreational swimmers who want feedback and encouragement to learn swimming to competitive elite swimmers interested in training for meets.
DSC is a membership driven, 501(c)(3) organization with an active Board of Directors.
Duties and Responsibilities
Specific responsibilities and expectations include but are not limited to the following:
Managing and Coaching Workouts:
● Serve as deck coach for a minimum of five workouts a week (about 3 hours/workout)
● Supervise assistant coaching staff (currently three), including organizing and overseeing the workouts and coaching schedule and ensuring that the weekly workouts are staffed on an ongoing basis by qualified coaches
● Prepare workouts in advance taking into account the varying skill levels of the swimmers to make adjustments as needed, and ensuring workouts are clearly communicated to the swimmers by the coaching staff
● Develop a training cycle taking into consideration the varying levels of commitment and goals of both non-competitive and competitive swimmers
● Provide swimmer feedback
● Ensure all practice changes, pool closures, upcoming activities, and competitions are communicated to swimmers by email and at each workout
● Foster a welcoming environment for new swimmers with the goal of retaining swimmers who come to DSC for a free trial practice
● Encourage team participation
● Recruit, hire, and supervise assistant coaching staff, including substitute coaches
● Follow all the rules outline in our lease agreement with Millikin University
● Other duties as required
● Work with Board of Directors to plan, schedule, and staff periodic swim events, including the annual Seth Dunscomb swim meet, swim and stroke clinics, and intra-squad meets
● Represent DSC and actively participate in USA Swim events
● Manage relationship and serve as primary liaison with Millikin University on behalf of DSC and in consultation with the Board of Directors to address any facility and maintenance issues and ensure limited disruption in the workout schedule
● Provide a Head Coach report to the Board of Directors at the beginning of each Board meeting; work with Board of Directors to implement policies and procedures
● Schedule and lead regular coaches’ meetings to ensure that all coaching staff understand and implement the training cycle
● Oversee equipment and property needs; coordinate ordering and sale of DSC merchandise
● Ensure all team members are registered with USA Swimming Association
● Submit regular and accurate time and expense reports
● Ensure all coaching staff have required training and certification per DSC and USA Swim requirements
The ideal candidate will have prior experience coaching a club level swim team, preferably affiliated with USA Swimming, as well as excellent communication and organizational skills. Minimum requirements and qualifications include:
Competitive swimming experience and strong knowledge of stroke-mechanics
Demonstrated experience effectively coaching both competitive and recreational swimmers
Maintain professional demeanor, provide leadership, and exhibit a positive, team-building attitude
Encourage the DSC mission of promoting community physical fitness, personal achievement, friendship, and fun through recreational and competitive swimming
Physical demands include the ability to instruct and observe participants in proper stroke techniques, lift and move light equipment, and take chemical samples
Must be at least 18 years of age.
Lifeguard/Adult CPR/First Aid certified (Water Safety Instruction certified preferred)
Substantive previous coaching experience
Interest in providing a range of swimming abilities with challenging, motivating workouts
Desire to encourage simmers and provide guidance on stroke technique for swimmers of varying ability
Possess a passion for swimming and working with swimmers
The Head Coach reports to the Board of Directors.
Salary and Benefits
This is a full-time, salary position. Salary is commensurate with experience. In addition to salary, DSC will pay the Head Coach’s annual USA Swim dues and provide DSC membership.
DSC is committed to ensuring a diverse and welcoming environment for all individuals, regardless of race, gender, religion, nationality, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, physical ability, or disability.
This job description is not an employment agreement or contract. Decatur Swim Club reserves the right to change this job description at any time without notice.
How to Apply
Email resume to Suzanne Broussard at [email protected]
3328 Zangle Drive