Location: 134 Chapel Road, Sweet Briar, VA 24595, USA
Sweet Briar College is a liberal arts college for women of consequence, located in the foothills of Virginia’s Blue Ridge Mountains approximately 12 miles north of Lynchburg and 54 miles south of Charlottesville. Founded in 1901, the College boasts a modern core curriculum focused on women’s leadership in the 21st century and undergraduate programs in the arts, sciences and humanities, as well as a Master of Arts in Teaching. It is one of only two women’s colleges in the United States with an ABET-accredited engineering degree. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Sweet Briar College is committed to enhancing our community and encourages applications from qualified individuals with varied backgrounds, experiences and ideas who would increase the diversity of the College.
Job Title: Head Swim Coach
Reports To: Director of Athletics
Job Summary/Objective: The Head Swim Coach works closely with the Director of Athletics in regards to the Athletics Department policies and procedures as they relate to the student athlete’s team experience at Sweet Briar College. Adheres to and enforces all policies and procedures of the department and the Institution, as well as the rules and regulations of the NCAA, Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) and any other authorities that affect the intercollegiate athletic program.
Position Type/Expected Work Hours: Full time, benefits eligible; 10 month position working August – May, varied hours, including evenings and weekends.
- Manages assistant coach and any student-workers involved in program.
- Direct and implement all aspects of the swim program; provide learning opportunities that challenge and support student-athletes to reach their full potential
- Direct and evaluate success through team development, training and strategy in practice and competition
- Develop and evaluate a plan for recruiting that includes sports specific measurable objectives and recruiting strategies
- Track success rate for recruiting contacts, applicants, yield, and evaluate effectiveness of recruiting strategy and success rate of established objectives
- Identify and recruit academically qualified prospective student-athletes who will positively represent Sweet Briar and advance the competitiveness of the program
- Schedule competitions effectively, promoting balanced opportunities for competitive success and a positive student-athlete and team experience
- Prepare, propose, manage and track team budget
- Work collaboratively within the department and other areas of our campus community
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director of Athletics.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Must adhere to the philosophy of Sweet Briar College and NCAA Division III rules
- CPR/AED certification
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience coaching/ participation at collegiate level swimming
- Demonstrated ability and passion to teach swim skills to a range of experience levels
- Strong commitment to NCAA DIII philosophy
- Motivation and skill in recruiting prospective student-athletes
- Willingness to fundraise
- Ability to interact with all levels of the Sweet Briar College community
- Ability to work weekdays, evenings and weekends
- Candidate must have a valid driver’s license and meet college’s insurability standards.
- Master’s degree in Coaching, Education or similar field
- 3 or more years of collegiate coaching and recruiting experience
- Certified Pool Operators License
- Experience with Hy-Tek Meet Manager / Team Manager and Visionware
Work Environment: Various work environments from seasonal outdoor work with teams to indoor facilities administrative responsibilities in office environment.
Physical Demands: Moderate activity; must be able to work effectively with student-athletes and lift up to 20 lbs. on occasion. Extensive periods of sitting/standing may be required.
Travel: As competition and recruiting needs dictate.
Deadline for Submission: Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Other Duties: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
How to Apply
How to Apply: If applying for a faculty or staff position, please submit a Sweet Briar College employment application, cover letter, résumé and three professional references to [email protected].
134 Chapel Road
134 Chapel Road, Box 1090
phone: (434) 381-6149