Applications due 01/31/23
Date posted: December 29, 2022
Location: 14654 Spring Cypress Road, Cypress, TX, USA
Job Title: General Manager
Team: Cypress-Fairbanks Swim Club
Primary Objective of Position
The General Manager manages the day-to-day operations and long-term strategic direction of the Cypress-Fairbanks Swim Club (CFSC), Home of the Fleet, and oversees the Fleet competitive team, Fleet First Swim School, U.S. Masters Swimming (USMS) program, as well as other associated aquatic training programs. The GM brings inspirational energy, accomplished aquatics experience, and team-oriented professionalism to work every day. This position reports directly to the CFSC Board of Directors (BOD).
CFSC is a part of the Gulf Swimming Local Swimming Committees (LSC) located in Cypress, Texas. With over 400 swimmers, we are currently recognized as a Silver Medal Club in the USA Swimming (USAS) Club Excellence Program. Established in 1975, Fleet is one of the few USAS clubs that owns and operates a facility that includes an outdoor 10-lane 50-meter long course competition pool, an 8,000 square foot dryland training facility, and a swim school with an indoor 6-lane 25-yard pool with eight built-in teaching stations. The club also runs satellite swim programs at four local school district pools.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities. Other duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or be assigned at any time.
- Manage the aquatic and dryland facilities for CFSC and the Fleet First Swim School, including the coordination of mechanical or custodial maintenance, timely inventory and purchasing of necessary supplies for the grounds and pools.
- Mentor, supervise, and evaluate the coaching staff, Fleet First coordinator, and other CFSC personnel.
- Coordinate the scheduling of all events at on or offsite facilities. Manage programs, clinics, and classes associated with CFSC, including scheduling, registration, payroll, club fundraising events and swim meets.
- Manage external and internal team communication and promotion of club programs and activities and have timely and professional communication (written and verbal) with coaches, parents, swimmers, and staff.
- Participate in all BOD meetings. Collaborate with the BOD to develop and monitor annual CFSC budget and maximize revenue producing opportunities through traditional and non-traditional usage of aquatics facilities. Collaborate with BOD to create and update standard operating procedures for the organization.
Position Specific Responsibilities
The five areas of focus for this position include: safety, compliance, people management, program and financial management, along with aquatic leadership in the community. In addition, the GM will participate with the BOD in developing a vision and strategic plan to guide CFSC and is responsible for the successful leadership and management of the organization according to the strategic direction set by the BOD.
Training and Experience
- Required: Minimum of 10 years of successful related experience, including experience in a supervisory or leadership role.
- Preferred: Bachelor’s Degree in Recreation, Sports Administration, Business, or related field.
- Certified Pool Operator (must obtain within three months of hire)
- USA Swimming Coach (must obtain within three months of hire)
Knowledge and Skills
- Strong communication skills: verbal, written, presentation, and 1 on 1 collaboration.
- Strong analytical skills applicable to forecasting and the ability to adapt strategies and programs as needed.
- Strong leadership skills and ability to delegate tasks.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, parents, board of directors, other agencies (school districts, Northwest Aquatic League (NWAL) summer swim league, Gulf LSC, USAS), community leaders, and the general public.
- Considerable knowledge of competitive swimming philosophy, planning, and administration.
- Considerable knowledge of the equipment, facilities, operations, and techniques used in a comprehensive non-profit competitive and lesson program.
Our pools operate six days a week, year-round. The GM will usually work in an office environment but the mission of CFSC will take this person all over the facility and into the community. The GM is an exempt position and is expected to work varying hours including nights and weekends to accommodate activities such as in-person supervision, evening BOD meetings, weekend swim meets, and representing CFSC at public events. Frequent overtime may be required as necessary.
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time.
- Bending at the waist, kneeling, or crouching.
- Lifting, carrying, pushing, or pulling objects up to 50 lbs.
- Visual acuity (near and distant) sufficient to evaluate, review, or provide feedback.
- Hearing and speaking to exchange information in person and on the telephone.
We are offering competitive compensation with benefits, 401k (3% matching), and paid vacation time. Potential candidates must possess the appropriate documentation to legally obtain employment in the US and must pass a background check.
How to Apply
CFSC is committed to having a workforce that reflects diversity at all levels and is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment, and employees are treated during employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law.
To apply, send your resume to [email protected].