Applications due 12/15/18
The YMCA of Southeastern North Carolina is looking for you to join our coaching staff on Cape Fear Aquatic Club in Wilmington, North Carolina. Cape Fear Aquatic Club is seeking a strong and energetic leader to serve as an Assistant Coach for our growing USA swim team. Cape Fear Aquatic Club’s current membership is comprised of about 90 athletes (ages 6-18), spanning all competitive levels. Cape Fear Aquatic Club’s Mission is to develop swimmers to their fullest capabilities while also teaching life balance, sportsmanship and dedication to the rewarding sport of competitive swimming.
Do you have a strong work ethic and excellent communication skills and the core values of the YMCA. The Y is a cause for strengthening community. We’re more than your local health and fitness club. At the Y, we help build a healthy spirit, mind, and body with our core values of caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility at the heart of everything we do.
- Effectively communicate the mission, vision and the values of the YMCA of Southeastern North Carolina
- Ensure the swim team complies with YMCA standards and methods of operation
- Ensure the swim team complies with USA Swimming standards and methods of operation
- Integrate member-service and engagement strategies into all interactions with parents to ensure positive team recruitment and retention
- Promote, build and expand the program enrollment and participation and support all YMCA programming.
- Support, develop and show measure success at coaching groups for intro groups and assisting with age group swimmers and senior swimmers with the team director to identify direction and objective for each group. (please visit website for more group information at see following link https://www.teamunify.com/Home.jsp?_tabid_=0&team=ymca-4622 )
- On Deck Coaching responsibilities will start at 4:00PM and end at 8:00PM Monday – Friday
- On Deck Coaching responsibilities will start at 6:00AM and end at 10:00AM Saturday
- On Deck Coaching summer hours will vary pending pool space and availiblity.
- Assist with the mentoring of the part time staff remaining consistent with Head Coach’s ideology.
- Attend swim meets that include the participation of swimmers that you coach. 1-2 weekend a month outside of championship season.
- Attend and support team activities’ that may be outside of the on deck coaching realm
- Attend monthly coach’s meeting and share best practices
- Attend monthly committee meeting when requested to do so
- Be visible to coaches, parents and members
- Take attendance at each practice
- Maintain a workout log for each training group and log all workouts into log books daily
- Complete swim meet entries in a timely manner taking into consideration the individual needs of each swimmer entered in the meet
- Develop a season plan inclusive of swim meets, team building activities, parent communication and miles that you expect to achieve for each group
- Coordinate goal meeting with each swimmer and align coach/swimmer goals for the season
- Ensure Coach Certifications are current
- Develop and maintain a dryland program that includes age-appropriate that will help in each swimmer’s core strength and development
- Communicate effectively with the administrative staff, coaches, parents and swimmers
- Respond to all coaching staff, parent member and community inquiries and concerns regarding the team with 24 hours
- Communicate swim team information, changes and needs in a timely manner to the supervisor and branch staff
- Communicate any time-off that does not fall within the vacation time description in the benefits sections
- Assist with team tryouts and new swimmer evaluations and the ability to accurately assess individual swim levels for training purposes
- Take lead role in fund raising for CFAC’s annual team events
- Pier 2 Pier
- Works with the volunteer parent board, especially in coordination parent communication and transparency
- Working knowledge of Hy-Tek Team Manager and Team Unify
- Coaching YMCA Master’s Swim program (additional hours)
- Coaching YMCA Cardinals Homeschool Swim Team (additional hours)
- MUST be able to work flexable hours
- MUST have reliable transportation
- All other duties assigned
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Leader):
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve
others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and
perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s
point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning;
speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to
another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience.
Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an
openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
- Minimum age of 21
- Must be in current and in good standing on all USA Swimming coach membership requirements, safety and background check requirement
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field from an accredited university or equivalent
- ASCA Level 1 certification required, (ASCA Level 2 Certification or higher preferred)
- High level of competitive swimming experience, ( NCAA Division 1 athlete or higher preferred )
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong knowledge of stroke technique progression, dryland, training progression and taper strategies
- Ability to communicate proper stroke technique instruction and development, dryland conditioning, and taper strategies for all level of swimmers
- Be able to constructively take criticism from both peers and directors
- Maintain a neat and professional appearance at all times
- Strong core values that includes honesty, integrity, hard work, teamwork, patience and respect
Minimum 3 year prior coaching experience and program development as a USA Swimming certified coach or YMCA club, high school coach, or college coach.
- Visual, auditory and verbal ability to communicate effectively
- High level of alertness, concentration and initiative
- Sufficient strength, agility and mobility to preform job responsibilities
- Ability to observe and instruct proper stroke technique
- Ability to lift equipment (60lbs), and to lift a small to average sized child and stand, walk or sit for extended periods of time; occasionally stoop/bend
How to Apply
Email Scott VanKuilenburg at [email protected]
Please include your resume, cover letter, three professional references and why this job interests you.
PO Box 3467, Wilmington, NC 28406
phone: 910-522-9622 x234