Applications due 09/08/19
Location: YMCA of Montclair, 25 Park Street, Montclair, NJ, USA
We are seeking a self-motivated candidate to lead a safe, clean and fun environment for staff and patrons. Creates a positive atmosphere that promotes member safety and engagement in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures. This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit, charitable organization committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility.
Under the direct supervision of the Association Aquatics Director, the Aquatics Director plans, organizes and supervises day-to-day programs and activities of the YMCA of Montclair Park Street location. The Park Street location currently serves over 500 participants each session in swim lessons. The Aquatics Director will support the program planning and quality standards in compliance with Association standards. The Aquatics Director will work collaboratively with the Aquatics Director at the Geyer Branch to ensure program objectives consistently met across the association. This position should expect to have some time teaching and leading classes as well as ensuring leadership presence during peak times of high swimmer volume and swim lessons.
At the YMCA of Montclair, we strive to be the Employer of Choice, provide World-Class Service and be the Charity of Choice. Our goal is to be a place where employees are empowered and excited to come to work. All staff ensure that members experience customer centric, individual attention each day. We strive to be the preferred partner collaborating with others, identifying and meeting our community needs.
- Develop the annual operating objective and plans assigned program responsibilities. Monitors the achievement of these objective and exercises appropriate action to assure achievement of the objectives.
- Develops and monitors program budget to meet fiscal objectives. Administer the budget and exercises necessary controls to assure operations are carried out in a balanced fiscal position.
- Develops and implements new aquatic programs.
- Directs and supervises program activities to meet the needs of the community and fulfill YMCA objectives.
- Creates and schedules swim classes, and coordinates pool time for water fitness and swim team practices and meets.
- Recruits, hires, trains, develops, schedules and directs personnel and volunteers as needed. Reviews and evaluates staff performance. Develops strategies to motivate staff and achieve goals. Ensure records of staff certification are current and complete.
- Responsible for conducting and documenting safety drills, audits and monthly in-service trainings.
- Ensures staff certifications records are current.
- Monitors daily pool operations to adhere to all state, local and YMCA health and safety regulations.
- Conducts and ensures proper maintenance of pools. Secures and schedules pool facilities. Maintains accurate records of pool chemical levels and facility maintenance.
- Conducts lifeguarding, swim instruction, CPR/AED, First Aid and Oxygen trainings.
- Active involvement in the planning and promotion of the Annual Campaign.
- Models relationship building skills (including Listen First) in all interactions. Responds to all member and community inquiries and complaints in a timely manner.
- Attends all staff meetings and trainings as required.
- Assist in all other areas as assigned and completes all projects and assignments as assigned by supervisor.
- Mission Advancement
- Operational Effectiveness
- Personal Growth
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field or equivalent preferred.
- Must be 21 years or older with a minimum of 5 years aquatics management experience.
- Current YMCA or American Red Cross Lifeguarding Instructor
- Current WSI or YMCA Swim Lesson Instructor Certification preferred or obtain trainer status within 6 months of hire.
- Current CPO or POOL (Pool Operator on Location) required within the first 90 days of hire.
- Ability to make sound judgement and decision-making.
- Ability to lead others and to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community.
- Ability to communicate effectively-verbally and in written form-with members, staff and volunteers
- Maintain all required certifications (active)
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Must be able to frequently perform the following physical activities, swim, bend, stoop, kneel, twist, reach with hands, sit stand for extended periods, walk, lift and carry up to 50 pounds, and communicate verbally.
- Must maintain lifeguard certification level of physical and mental readiness.
- Must be able to adequately hear noises and distinguish distress signals.
- Must be able to remain alert.
- Adequate ability to hear noises and distinguish distress signals.
- Ability to continuously scan all areas of the pool with clear vision.
- Ability to perform strenuous physical tasks necessary for a water rescue.
- Ability to communicate verbally, including projecting voice across distance in normal and loud situations.
- Ability to work inside and outside (environments include humidity, heat, cold, and inclement weather conditions).
Job Type: Full-time
How to Apply
Please go to the Employment Tab on our website at www.montclairymca.org to apply
Email your resume to [email protected]
25 Park St
Montclair , NJ 07042