2021 EUROPEAN JUNIOR SWIMMING CHAMPIONSHIPS
- Tuesday, July 6th – Sunday, July 11th
- Foro Italico, Rome, Italy
- Heats at 9:30 am local (3:30 am EST)/Finals at 6 pm local (Noon EST)
- LCM (50m)
- Live Results
- Live Stream
- Day 1 Prelims Recap | Day 1 Finals Recap
- Day 2 Prelims Recap | Day 2 Finals Recap
Following his 50 butterfly victory on day 2 of the European Junior Swimming Championships, Josif Miladinov of Bulgaria delivered a 53.29 in the 100 butterfly prelims which was the second-fastest time overall. The only man who beat him was Great Britain’s Edward Mildred with a 52.75.
6th place finisher in the 50 butterfly Diogo Matos Ribeiro (24.09) was 3rd in the 100 fly heats with a 53.48 and Ukraine’s Andriy Kovalenko was 4th overall in a 53.88. Ksawery Masiuk and Bence Peto tied for 6th place with a 53.92.
Justine Delmas raced the 200 breaststroke prelims and delivered the quickest time of the morning with a 2:28.50. That swim nearly the exact same time that Delmas swam at the 2021 French Swimming Championships where she notched a 2:28.31 for 3rd in the final. Delmas’ PB in the event comes from back in 2019 at the European Youth Olympic Festival when she swam a 2:27.50 for 2nd overall.
50 breaststroke silver medalist Elena Bogomolova of Russia followed Delmas with a 2:29.60 fro second place while Germany’s Kellie Messel was third in a 2:29.88. Ireland’s Molly Mayne was 4th with a 2:30.33 while Estonian record holder Eneli Jefimova was a 2:30.68 for 5th.
In the women’s 200 freestyle, Laura Veres of Hungary retained her top seed in the event with a 2:00.12 which was about a second over her entry time of 1:59.14. Right behind Veres, Daria Klepikova hit a 2:00.98 and Viktoriia Starostina was a 2:01.03 to earn 2nd and 3rd for Russia. Torfimova will be looking to pick up her second medal in the 200 freestyle after taking gold in the 100 free with a 54.75.
Merve Tuncel raced a 2:01.44 200 free for 4th seed, fresh off her 800 free European junior record-breaking 8:21.91 800 freestyle victory on night 2. Tamryn Van Selm was 5th with a 2:01.73 and Nikoletta Padar followed in a 2:01.97 for 6th.
Other Day 1 Prelims Top Seeds
- Rostyslav Kryzhanivs’kyy of Ukrain delivered a 27.57 in the men’s 50 breaststroke, improving upon his 27.75 PB.
- Just a few events after his 6th place performance in the 100 fly prelims Ksawery Masiuk hit the quickest 50 backstroke in a 25.28.
- Italy’s Chiara Fontana, Benedetta Pilato, Ettore Nanetti, and Samuele Congia posted the fastest mixed 4×100 medley relay with a 3:54.64 to just beat Russia’s 3:54.74.