In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, athletes around the world remain under strict lockdown and shelter-in protocol. With no access to weight-rooms or pools, many are searching for ways to stay in shape. The International Swimming Federation (FINA) has put together a ‘Home Workout Routines’ PowerPoint detailing the ways that athletes can stay fit while at home.
- Access the full PowerPoint here.
The suggested workouts consist of a warm-up, a muscle tone maintenance block, and a cardiovascular endurance block. They also provide an outline for a separate range of motion (ROM) session to be completed “preferably as soon as you get up.”
For each block; warm-up, muscle tone, cardio, and ROM, FINA lists four options of circuits to complete with increasing difficulty. Each option also incorporates different workout gear so as to let the user pick one based on what supplies they have at their disposal. Among the suggested exercise gear are a yoga mat, TRX ropes, dumbbells, and resistance bands.
Additional ‘training guidelines’ listed include:
- Each session will consist of a warm-up, a muscle tone maintenance block and a cardiovascular endurance block
- You can do double sessions (one session in the morning and another in the afternoon with a difference of at least 6 hours). In this case, focus the morning session to the cardiovascular resistance block and the afternoon to the muscle tone maintenance block.
- Each of the blocks are presented in routines format, that increase their workload from 1 to 4, so muscle tone maintenance routine 1 should always be combined with the cardiovascular endurance routine 1
- Each routine should be performed twice in a row, so that when you have done them twice you move on to the next one
Many Olympic swimmers have also shared how they are staying in shape at home.
View this post on Instagram
A homemade gym calls for a homemade barbell! 🏋️♂️ Keeping ontop of your training routine these weeks needs some inventive solutions so check out how I've managed to keep the consistency at home! 💪 Make sure to share your original ideas with me by using the #hometeam #createdwithadidas #heretocreate #stayathomechallenge