2018 ITALIAN NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS
- April 10-14, 2018
- Stadio del Nuoto – Riccione (ITA)
- Long Course (50 meters)
- Start List
Federica Pellegrini nearly snatched the 100 back Italian record with her win in that same event tonight (1:00.03). Last night, Margherita Panziera became the first Italian woman to break a minute in the race (59.96)– tonight, Panziera fell just short of Pellegrini (1:00.54). Her national record still lives on, though.
Fiamme Oro Roma won the women’s 4×200 free relay in 8:04.58, with a 1:59.76 split from Stefanie Pirozzi. Pellegrini had a 1:56.67 split on Canottieri Aniene’s fourth place relay, and in an interview with SwimSwam Italia, she said that she may continue to race the 200 free despite announcing she would retire from the event. This goes against her decision, following her 2017 WC gold in the 200 free, to retire from the event on the big stage.
The women’s 200 fly was a fantastic race, with three women finishing within a second of each other. Alessia Polieri sat in second behind Ilaria Bianchi for most of the race, but used a 33.20 final 50 to inch past her for the win at 2:08.15. Bianchi was close behind for second (2:08.33), while Ilaria Cusinato posted a 2:08.78 for third.
- Matteo Restivo came within a half second of his own Italian record in the 200 back, grabbing a win in 1:56.93.
- In the men’s 200 breast, Luca Pizzini was the only sub-2:10 finisher, taking the win in 2:09.91.
- Lucrezia Raco posted a 25.33 to win the women’s 50 free.
- Filippo Megli raced to a time of 1:47.78 to take the men’s 200 free by almost a full second.