2018 MEN’S NCAA SWIMMING & DIVING CHAMPIONSHIPS
- Wednesday, March 21 – Saturday, March 24
- Jean K. Freeman Aquatic Center – Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Defending champion: Texas (3x) (results)
- Psych Sheet
- Live results
- Championship Central
- Live stream: Wednesday/Thursday Finals, All Prelims on BTN2GO; Friday/Saturday Finals on WatchESPN
The 2018 Men’s NCAA Championships are underway in Minneapolis, Minnesota. We hadn’t even seen the last heat of the 800 free relay yet, but heads were already turning after Harvard’s Dean Farris blasted a 1:30.55 split on the 2nd leg in heat 2. The Crimson trailed after the first leg, but Farris brought them from behind to take the lead halfway through the race.
Farris flipped in 20.22 and was out very quick at the 100 in 43.36. He looked like he was on track for a sub-1:30 split, holding steady through the 3rd 50. He fell off his pace by about a second on the closing 50, but still rocked a 1:30.55 for the 3rd fastest relay split ever.
- Farris’ Splits by 50: 20.22/23.14/23.11/24.08
- Farris’ Splits by 100: 43.36/47.19
Fastest 800 Free Relay Splits:
- Townley Haas (Texas), 1:30.42, 2017
- Townley Haas (Texas), 1:30.52, 2017
- Dean Farris (Harvard), 1:30.55, 2018
- Michael Wynalda (Michigan), 1:30.60, 2014
- Soeren Dahl (NC State), 1:30.67, 2017
- Dean Farris (Harvard), 1:30.69, 2018
- Zach Apple (Auburn), 1:30.74, 2018
- Justin Ress (NC State), 1:30.77, 2018
The fastest split ever was done by Texas’ Townley Haas at the 2017 NCAA Championships, where he split a 1:30.42. Haas’ 1:30.52 from 2016 is the 2nd fastest ever, just ahead of Farris’ swim tonight. Auburn’s Zach Apple had one of the fastest splits ever tonight with 1:30.74 anchor leg. NC State’s Justin Ress also had a quick split tonight, anchoring in 1:30.77 for the champion Wolfpack as they smashed the NCAA Record. While these are the fastest rolling start splits, the fastest splits tonight actually came on the leadoff leg, as Indiana’s Blake Pieroni smashed the American Record with a 1:29.63 leadoff and Townley Haas put up a lifetime best 1:30.41.