Prior to the start of day eight finals, USA swimming announced the assistant coaches for the 2016 U.S Olympic team.
Mike Bottom, Dave Durden, and Jack Bauerle will be joining head men’s coach Bob Bowman in Rio. Greg Meehan, Bruce Gemmell, and Ray Looze will be joining head women’s coach David Marsh on the coaching staff.
With only one more night of competition remaining and only roster spots in the women’s 50m freestyle and men’s 1500m freestyle on the line, a picture of the U.S Olympic team has formed and the aforementioned coaches each have athletes on the team.
- Connor Jaeger (400m freestyle) *Jaeger is also the top seed heading into tonight’s 1500m freestyle final.
- Ryan Murphy (100, 200 backstroke)
- Josh Prenot (200 breaststroke)
- Nathan Adrian (50 free, 100 free, 4×100 free relay)
- Anthony Ervin (50 free, 4×100 free relay) ***Ervin has been training with SwimMAC Carolina for a short while leading up to trials, but is still partially representing Cal Aquatics
- Tom Shields (100, 200 butterfly)
- Jacob Pebley (200 backstroke)
- Olivia Smoliga (100 backstroke)
- Jay Litherland (400 IM)
- Hali Flickinger (200 fly)
- Gunnar Bentz (4×200 free relay)
- Lia Neal (4×100 free relay)
- Simone Manuel (100 free, 4×100 free relay) *Manuel will also be racing in tonight’s 50m freestyle final.
- Maya DiRado (200 IM, 400 IM, 200 backstroke)
- Katie Ledecky (200 freestyle, 400 freestyle, 800 freestyle, 4×200 freestyle relay)
- Lilly King (100, 200 breastsroke)
- Cody Miller (100 breaststroke)
- Blake Pieroni (4×100 freestyle relay) *Pieroni’s spot on the team has not yet been confirmed.