2019 AUSTRALIAN WORLD SWIMMING TRIALS
- Sunday, June 9th – Friday, June 14th
- Brisbane Aquatic Centre
- Live Results
We’re delving into the results a little more in the aftermath of the 2019 Australian World Swimming Trials by looking at the elite gentlemen from the competition who made an impact in the top 10 placements among the season’s world rankings in their respective events.
All told after the 6-day affair in Brisbane, just 6 men inserted themselves onto the list top 10 performers of the season based on performances at the Aussie World Trials.
The grouping was led by St. Peters Western’s Mitch Larkin and SOSC’s Jack McLoughlin, who powered their way to 3 top 10-times each, with Larkin taking over the throne of the rankings in the 200m IM. Larkin’s backstroke performances also now position the 25-year-old as #2 in the world.
For McLoughlin, the man was unstoppable across the mid-distance freestyle races, taking the 400m, 800m and 1500m in style to break into the top 10 in each.
David Morgan made headway in both the 100m and 200m fly events, while Kyle Chalmers‘ impressive 100m and 200m swims now check-in among the top 10 in the world. His 100m free of 47.35 sits #1 in the entire world 5 weeks out from Gwangju.
Based on the fact that the men’s 100m breaststroke saw just one man break the minute barrier in Mathew Wilson’s 59.78, along with the fact that even Chalmers didn’t crack 22 seconds in the men’s 50m free, there is still work to be done on the part of the green and gold to ensure they’re competitive on all fronts.
Here are the current world rankings for each event in which an Aussie made an impact at the Aussie World Trials. You may notice other Australians already on the rankings board and not specifically pointed out, such as Elijah Winnington in the men’s 200m free, but those non-mentioned performances took place outside of the World Trials meet.
- Men’s 100 Free – #1 Kyle Chalmers, 47.35
- Men’s 200 Free – #7 Kyle Chalmers, 1:45.76; #9 Clyde Lewis, 1:45.88
- Men’s 400 Free – #4 Jack McLoughlin, 3:44.34
- Men’s 800 Free – #7 Jack McLoughlin, 7:46.79
- Men’s 1500 Free – #6 Jack McLoughlin, 14:52.83
- Men’s 100 Fly – #8 David Morgan & Matthew Temple (51.47)
- Men’s 200 Fly – #6 David Morgan, 1:55.26
- Men’s 100 Back – #2 Mitch Larkin, 52.38
- Men’s 200 Back – #2 Mitch Larkin, 1:55.03
- Men’s 200 IM – #1 Mitch Larkin, 1:55.72